Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Florida principal apologizes for refusing to call Holocaust a 'factual, historical event' - The Washington Post

This is not a matter of opinion. The Holocaust happened. It's history.

Paul4747 8 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It goes beyond the deniers as polls show a large number of people can't even tell what the event was historically. Lots, too many, of people simply do not know.

Then there is another group which I find just as damaging, in many ways, as deniers and forgeters: the yes it was bad, but what about.......... (example - Armenian genocide).

Ah yes, the "what-abouters".... and there were "very fine people on both sides" of the Holocaust, I'm sure.

I put Holocaust Deniers in the same category as Flat Earthers, except that Flat Earthers are considerably more benign because they lunacy they’re attempting to spread doesn’t involve the extermination of countless numbers of lives.

On the other hand, it does considerable harm to the spread of true knowledge and an attitude of "Everyone can make up their own mind about everything."

Everyone can make up their own mind about some things, such as whether the German people at large were willing participants in the Holocaust or simply turned a blind eye; to what extent the Allies ignored the warnings they heard coming out of occupied territory or what power they had to intervene in any case; and many other questions, and not only on this issue. But those opinions should be based on the documented facts, not on rejecting facts based on a suspicion of all in authority.

Too many in this generation (and going back several generations, actually) distrust anything written down, simply because they assume there's a hidden agenda to it. Skepticism and a critical eye may be justified, but automatic disbelief is certainly not.

Sorry... I'm an historian. I tend to go on about this subject.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:371463
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.