Agnostic.com

12 1

When a theist says, "I'm praying for you."

How do you respond when a theist says "I'm praying for you?" How does that make you feel?
As for me, I take it to mean, "I'm thinking about you," and I respond with a friendly "thank you." That said, it is even better if the person does something to help, or at least if they ask how they can help.

• 16 votes
  • 8 votes
Rockhound93 4 July 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Save the prayer, just give me cash!"

A very religious neighbour said to me: "I will say a prayer for you!" Me: "Don't! The angels at the switchboard wouldn't be able to find my file."

I usually accept it as an indication that they care. One of the very few exceptions that I can recall was several years ago, when my dog became lost and I was searching all the neighborhoods around mine. I was posting fliers on telephone poles and distributing them to anyone who would take them, when I met this particular individual while walking on the sidewalk.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I lost my floppy-eared best friend, and i'm posting fliers in the hopes that someone will have seen him." I then handed him a flier and said, "If you've seen him, would you please call?" He refused the flier but said "I'll pray for you."

"Thank you very much for that. If you actually see him, my phone # is on this flier so you can let me know where. That will help me narrow the search so i'll have a better chance of finding him." He looked at me sternly, again refused the flier, and again said "I'll pray for you".

Though this particular individual obviously didn't care, the great majority of those who said they'd pray for me gave me the impression that they did.

I say "I'm not religious, but I appreciate the thought."

As long as they pray where I can't hear them, and it makes THEM feel better, I'm good. I believe in more practical aid, when possible, but most people can't really do anything of any real value to help a situation, so knowing someone is thinking of me is somewhat psychologically helpful.

Both - I think the sentiment is usually coming from good intentions.....buuuuut, I can't help but be a bit annoyed and think (to myself) "fat lot of good that will do".

I generally answer what the hell good will that do

My friends all pray for me, they are Christians and feel it is necessary because I am not a believer therefore I have a black soul that needs saving. I don’t mind. I look at it as positive energy being sent my way. Why take offense at something that is harmless.

If they know enough about me to think I need thier prayers then they also know I'm an atheist, and my answer is always a dismissive "whatever". I know they're gonna pray for me, and their own bible tells them to pray in secret, so why tell me? So I can say "thanks for nothing"?

1of5 Level 8 July 9, 2019

To me, it’s their way of having the ‘last word.’ And, they want your reaction. I shake my head (sideways) and smile, but I do find it annoying..

Varn Level 8 July 9, 2019

I always take it too be a positive....my close friends would never say it because they know I’m atheist, but sometimes well meaning acquaintances have said this to me, especially recently when I sadly lost my son. I took it in the spirit it was intended and thanked them for their kindness.

This is the love-language of theists. Unless said in some sort of derogatory manner, as it can be on occasion, I welcome it.

How about a third choice.... I appreciate they are thinking of me, but I am offended that they won't be doing anything real that can actually help me.

Exactly! But nobody is perfect.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:371622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.