Agnostic.com

8 3

When, if ever, will the stigma toward " mental illness" (ugh..chemical brain disorder) end?

We talk about marginalized segments of the population, and think: transgender people? The homeless? NO. The invisible and truly mis-labled people have a bipolar or some other kind of affective disorder. They are shamed by families, considered slovenly, inarticulate or dangerous. No empathy. The subject is avoided, spoken of in hushed tones...no one can know. Keep it hidden. It will take generations to dissipate. And those unfortunate individuals struggling to function in a world that shuns them continue to remain in their dark closets- because 'coming out' would threaten their legitimacy, trustworthiness and acceptance.

theatreskill 5 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why does this short video go unnoticed??....we who like to think of ourselves as engaged and comitted to ideas, analysis and discussion--do not have the attn. span to watch something useful and relevent?! OK.

Source:

The ADA 1990 ( Americans with Disability Act) criminalizes discrimination against what is referred to as "mental incapacity". It can not affect employment, housing, or membership in any gov't agency. Also, it qualifies as a social security disability, for those folks who cannot work full time...although the benefits are ridiculous.

You know, I have a really short attention span, too. But, for some of these folks responding here, the film I've posted is 38 min, 40 secs and may be just what you could watch and identify with the main character. This play/film puts a personal face on chemical brain disorders, demysifies talk therapy & psychiatric treatment...and provides realistic information from the "inside -out". I usually get real empathetic responses. If you do watch it, please let me know what you think!
Thanks,
Laura

There is a weird line of boundaries between the mental illness of religion and secular brain assessments.....those who cure themselves of the cults some have residual or clinical conditions.....those of us without mental illness determined to be fair with everyone see how many clinicians are enabling both the evils of faith and the religious bigots who do not respect mental health or healing patients........Since 1978 I have stood for improved NATIONAL health policies and American Atheists exposing rapist priests and the deadly global scourge of theocracy and rogue religionists

There's some help available at NAMI

The problem is, some of theses people, while deserving of sympathy and of course help, are genuinely scary. Wish I had an idea that could help.......

Stop equating mental illness with criminal insanity for a start perhaps?

Scary? In what way, exactly? If you could explain that, it would be very helpful.

@theatreskill 1. I used to walk my dogs in several wooded areas near me, with established paths. Now all the areas are full of "permanent campers" who unexpectedly jump out and ask for money...if you do not have any, or offer food instead, they can get very nasty.......one hurled rocks at me. Scary! Police told me there were several people living in the woods just in that one area so no on could make them take their meds. I no longer walk my dogs in the woods.
2. Shopping downtown, I had to cross the street with my 9 year old as a man was yelling, throttling, & kicking a parking meter (no car near it). Scary!
3. Accosted on a street outside a parking garage by a very disheveled panhandler asking for money, when I offered food/beverage at a nearby pizza place, followed me screaming "f-u" and jumping towards me, then back. The patrons at the pizza place, where I fled for safety, (hadn't been planning to go there) told me he was a schizophrenic who .lved on the streets so he wouldn't be forced to take his meds.. Scary!
There used to be a huge care facility for people here, but "civil rights" suits closed it down, and we are a hub for Social Service offices still, so we have, I believe, a larger amount of people needing help here. But no one can help them unless they want it, even though manifestly needing it. Scary!

I have bipolar. I manage it with a medication called latuda. When not on medications I can be disorganized and a risk-taker. When not on medications I'm very stable and productive. I do feel stigmatized I do not like to tell people that I am labeled bipolar

Yup, same here.

Because American Atheists have fought so hard since 1960 to eradicate the stigma against us by believers the closet is a lonelier place and as we separate the induced illness of religion from medical conditions the stigma will abate further for secular patients

I married into a family where one of the associates had disappeared for like 20 years. He finally re-appeared and claimed he had mental illness. Before he was like in some mental fog but now he was on meds and doing fine, he said. None of the family wanted anything to do with him.

This is the stigma of mental illness.

No, this particular instance is a good example of not wanting to trust someone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:372424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.