8 3

What do you think of 'acknowledging' the Winter Solstace?

I will make no claims to being an authority of Druidish history; in fact I had to look 'some' of it up (most of it I knew). In Ireland the Druids, before the Celts arrived from central Europe, built Newgrange in Co. Meath in the years 3,300 BCE. On Dec 21 it marks the end of winter and the start of when the sun shines more each day. SOMETHING REAL- AND WORTH CELEBRATING. They had this figured out more than 5,000 years ago- but yet, in the age of so-called 'high tech knowledge', buffoonish fairy tales still exist.

By Diogenes
Favorite
Please or register to see comments
8 comments

I forgot that I had written "celebrating"---- but then the question is, is the fornication of the fictional god-dude and the fictional, so-called, 'Virgin Mary' something to celebrate?

Diogenes Level 4 Nov 15, 2017

It will happen if it is acknowledged or not.

Annalida Level 5 Nov 14, 2017

The winter solstice exists. That's all the acknowledgement it needs. As a matter of fact, it would exist even if nobody paid attention to it. I don't think it makes any more sense to "celebrate" a natural event than it makes to "celebrate" the existence of air.

MsOliver Level 5 Nov 14, 2017
I'm all for celebrating the existence of air. Hell, I'll celebrate anything. Why Not?
Your word "celebrate" was one I did not use. Maybe winter would be better 12/12. What do you say after it rains a week and then there is the first bright and sunny day? I know what I say: ( I probably start off with a Freudian slip) God, what a fantastic day! LOL
You would be rather hard pressed without air.

Go for it. At high northern latitudes, we need an excuse for bright lights and festivity when daylight is shortest.

tsjames Level 6 Nov 14, 2017

Well, the Celtic Pagans celebrated it with Yule. Then the Christians came along and tried to convert them by turning Yule into Christmas and the Spring Equinox into Easter. In fact, most of the accoutrements of Christmas, the tree, the lights, the presents are Pagan by background, not Christian. So in a way, we're already celebrating the Solstice each year.

ErichZannIII Level 6 Nov 14, 2017
TRUE !

Humans need things to celebrate with each other and in groups, and winter solstice to me seems like a big one for obvious reasons, mostly to do with agriculture. I say party on...

Hominid Level 4 Nov 14, 2017

Some of the Atheists where I live do that.
I personally don't need to find an alternative.
Like resserts said, I just like to enjoy the season.

silvereyes Level 7 Nov 14, 2017

I'm of the opinion that most post modern people (including myself there) are far removed from the cycles of nature. Our ancestors used to be in tune with the changing of the seasons that marked the passing of the year. I have to think hard to remember the last time my bare feet touched the bare Earth, or the last time I sat on the ground beneath a tree. Heck, I don't even mow my own grass anymore. I think a ritual or even just an acknowledgement of the changing cycles of the moon or the changing seasons is a great way to reconnect with the natural world that is all around us.

I do go hiking every now and again or for a relaxing walk on a nature trail, and it's always so calming and balancing for me to reconnect with nature. And I think most of our modern secular holidays coincide with the pagan festivals...we celebrate Christamas (Winter Solstice), Valentine's Day (Imbolc), Easter (Ostara or Spring Equinox), Memorial Day/Earth Day (Beltane), 4th of July (Midsummer, Litha or Summer Solstice), Labor Day (Lughnasadh), Thanksgiving (Mabon or autumnal equinox), Halloween (Samhain).

I try to remember at each of those holidays that it used to mark the passing of the year.

roberbro Level 5 Nov 14, 2017
I like your, "walking on grass in your bare feet". Must be 'heaven'! (LOL) But if you're one of those Christians you're going to go to La la Land, and walk on streets "of purest gold". Gross, just gross! All that ugly glitter would be hard on the eyes- and besides walking on metal would be hard on the boots.
Sorry, a misquote by me- should have been, "bare feet touching bare earth".

The seasons are the reason for the timing of many religious holidays, because the seasons are meaningful. I say enjoy the seasons, just without the religion.

resserts Level 5 Nov 14, 2017
Indeed.
Yep
I have forgotten the name of the dudes in the bible that were a few hundred years old- about my age. "About my age", and I know so little about the stars- should be ashamed of myself. There is Nature on full display for me, and anyone else who is inquisitive enough to take advantage of it.
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit organization promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion