Agnostic.com

5 2

What is it to be an asshole?

Aaron Lames, in his book "Assholes. A Theory" gives the following definitions: An asshole

• acts out of a firm sense that he is special
  • allows himself to enjoy special advantages and does so systematically
  • does this out of an entrenched sense of entitlement
  • is immunized by his sense of entitlement against the complaints of other people

"It is said that power corrupts. We may add that it brings out the inner asshole."

Matias 8 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ask Donald Trump. He knows all about that!

Everyone has an asshole, if you look you will find it.

It's very freeing to be one.

1of5 Level 8 July 13, 2019

Sounds like most Trump supporters if you ask me. A lot of the entitlement that we are contending with is white privilege, specifically white male privilege.

t1nick Level 8 July 13, 2019

Correct in all definitions! Except, once again it highlights the difference between American and British spellings of the same words.....we called them arseholes here on this side of the pond!

BUt....do they deserve that extra letter?

@AnneWimsey It sounds better in a Scots accent....we do like to roll our β€œRs”! 😁

@Marionville Do you roll your Rs ?

@Besalbub I used to! And still can when necessary!! 😁

@AnneWimsey I think it is the prudery of Americans. they don't like saying "arse" so they changed it to "ass"

@Moravian Ass is crass . trump is an asshole sounds better than , trump is an arsehole , wouldn't you say

@Besalbub They are equally derisory in my opinion....it’s just that you use one word and we use another.

@Besalbub Not really. When someone is called an "ass" here I think of a furry four legged animal.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:373289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.