Agnostic.com

4 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a medical professional am aware of that

bobwjr Level 10 July 14, 2019

Been there done that - have the T-shirt.

No one (who isn't trained for it should have to:
Change a dressing on someone who has just had surgery.
Try to roll someone who is incontinent due to Stage IV Cancer.
Push the button on the pain medicine pump because the patient can't - but is moaning and unable to do it themselves (Stage IV Cancer).
Change the bulbs and empty them on tubes left in for drainage post surgery. (I had a friend who was a nurse show me how - they sent my Mom home without anyone being instructed and no visiting nurse).
Be the first one to see your Mother's Radical Mastectomy scar and reassure her it looks good (Which it did) and reassure your Father it looks good. (And encourage him to look too).

I've managed meds. for many relatives who couldn't - but I had training for that (thankfully). I was actually able to catch medication errors before they got out of hand (for the most part).
I was able to figure out an impossible schedule for my Uncle's eye drops when he had surgery and ha to space some 1 hour apart and others 2 and 3 hours apart. (I'd had training - don't try that at home).

Most of the time I've done this in clutch situations.... and more than once had the nightmares after toi prove it,

If you do end up in that situation - take notes. Make sure you get instructions - and preferably a number to call if you get stuck.

Yes there should be Visiting Nurses to help - or Home Health Aides - but most of the time? Nowhere near in time for what you need done. You can't wait 1 week for a dressing to be changed post surgery.

I'd like to do a poll someday on how many Men versus Women get put in this position.
I'm fairly sure it's biased to women as caregivers - though I know there are Men at home caring for aging parents or sick children or spouses too.

It needs to change. Or they need to be training everyone from the time they enter HS. So they'll be ready when it happens.

I've had both Drs and Nurses think I was a trained professional because I've learned so much from doing for others over the years. (And most of it done prior to YouTube btw).
I had some First Aid Training and CPR training. Yes not a skilled professional. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Just another example of our very fucked up health care system. A national health care system will cost too much. Funny you don't hear that when they build a new ship, bomber, or nuclear weapon we don't need. You don't hear it when they are asked to bail out some corporation because they are failing because of bad and sometimes illegal management. We are a poor excuse of a nation.

There is no denying that a nurse's job is very important, but didn't she choose her profession, or didn't she know what her responsibilities would be? Let's also appreciate the doctors who are responsible for prescribing treatment. That is the most important thing. And studying to be a doctor is harder than performing dressings. I've had that experience too. I had a ready-made kit with me from [72hours.ca] . I did bandages on all the casualties (spotted people in an overturned car on the highway). Nothing difficult, especially when you don't know the person but need to help. And the nurses do it every day.

@TomHowland14 The page for the original post can't be reached so l am not sure what you are talking about. I do know this, having spent a month in the hospital, nurses are the heart and soul of those institutions, not the doctors.

Bad gateway

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:373987
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.