Agnostic.com

4 1

Would you start/join an agnostic/atheist group where you live?

If yes, how would you advertise?
If no, why not?

GoodMan 7 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am in the process of reactivating, rejuvinating the local atheist group in my real-life community. Atheists, of course, are not in the habit of weekly church-style attendance, unless they just recently left a church anyway, so getting them to all commit to meeting up in person at the same time and place, just to hang out and maybe listen to a talk of something... well, it's a work in progress. I really want an atheist choir, but that is beyond my ability to create for sure, at least for now. 🙂

Agreed. I wouldn’t want to just listen and hang out either.

It could be boring. A lot of groups now and in the past, though, have revolved around lectures and social hours with occasional charity activities (elite literary societies, historical societies, quite a few well-established secret societies like Freemasons). A lot of those established societies are male only, still, so willingness to commit to a group like that is not limited to women (and I wonder if one reason more women than men have been church-regulars over the past few generations has to do with women not having as many established secret societies like that to which they can be admitted). Most well-established elite clubs have an embedded nod to Christianity or in some cases have obscure Christian references embedded in all their rituals, but occasionally literary clubs and academic clubs have functioned as havens for atheists and agnostics among the intellectual elite.

I might join a group if one already existed, but I've never heard of an atheist group existing in Lex, KY.

I tried, but though I found more than enough atheists to start a group, there was no one else who wanted to be out, or who wanted to help run a group. 😟

I find that to be the case generally. Lack of help running things.

Yes! My city has an Atheists Meet-up group and I met my best friends there.

Cool, how did you find out about it? On Meetup.com or?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:374
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.