Agnostic.com

12 27

Loop hike today. Mountain bikers fixed scary trail.

Today Karen and I hiked 5.5 miles in the mountains, gaining 1,200' of elevation. I thought I missed alpine wildflowers with a broken toe in May and June. Nope.

With a remarkable sense of direction, Karen explores random trails and always gets us back to the car. She led me on a wide loop through the mountains between 4,000 and 5,000' elevation.

For 1/2 mile, the trail was so steep I scrambled uphill on hands and feet twice. It mystified me how Karen could walk. She hikes every day.

"I want to get you through the scary part of the trail before we stop for lunch," Karen said.

Picture this: a narrow, about 8" -wide path across a steep hillside with a huge drop-off, rolling rocks and crumbling edge. Previously I edged through it, terrified.

Lo and behold! With shovels, mountain bikers had cut out the trail, widening it so a bicycle could get through. Now that section of the trail is three feet wide.

"This isn't scary anymore!" I exclaimed. But the steep hillside is irrevocably eroding, with rocks and gravel sliding downhill. Karen used her boot to scrap out the trail in spots.

"Follow the Yellow Brick Road" I thought when yellow sedum flowers edged the trail.

Blueberries! "These bushes are ripening early," Karen said as we gobbled. "Bears are happy."

I feel happy like I always do after hiking.

Photos:

1. Pink Wintergreen flowers
  2. Flowering Sedum, yellow flowers
  3. Enchantments Mountains from upper trail
  4. Pippipsewa flowers
  5. Purple Monkshood flowers
LiterateHiker 9 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A beautiful outing for you with a wee bit of adrenlan. Love your description Very happy you enjoyed in your happy element

Wow, beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Wow .. what a way to live life.. blending with self and nature.. you go girl!

Neenz Level 7 July 20, 2019

Blueberries! "These bushes are ripening early," Karen said as we gobbled. "Bears are happy."

My favorite are Mountain Blueberries: large sweet fruit with an exquisite taste.

Last August about one mile from Janus Lake, we came across a glorious swath of ripe berry bushes in the sun loaded with two types of blueberries and huckleberries, along a sometimes-flowing creek. That's when I first tasted wild Mountain Blueberries. Instantly smitten. August 20, 2018.

Local people jealously guard their favorite wild huckleberry and blueberry patches like a favorite fishing hole.

"It's near Stevens Pass," Cheryl said vaguely. East or west side?

"Can I go with you?" I asked. No answer.

I remember, many years ago, being held by my feet by someone squatting on narrow ledges, whilst I lay flat on my stomach, head downwards on almost vertical slopes in the high Swiss Alps, using a camera fitted with a close-up lens to photograph a series of minute Alpine flowers.
Later I had the photos converted into a set of much prized drinks coasters. Unfortunately, they were looted from my house in Uganda in 1979, during the invasion that overthrew Idi Amin.

Petter Level 9 July 20, 2019

I am happy for you that you have something you love.

Scrambling up on hands and feet! You are a badass girl. I’m impressed.

@JacobMeyers

Thanks for the compliment. I am nothing if not determined.

nice photos. i was into photography in a big way decades ago. used to develop & print my own photos. now that it's so easy to get good results digitally i hardly even think of taking photos.
just a week or two ago i could have got some great photos of new born fawns on our GC if i'd had our phone or my camera with me.
sadly, the creative juices dry up with old age.

IF you let it happen. But for me, there's so much photography I haven't done yet. I have an unlimited number of artistic shot inside me that I'd like to try...before time's up.

@mischl ,
good for you.

Sometimes .

@callmedubious

My photos are improving as I get older ( she said modestly).

"Your photos are getting better," my artist ex-husband said. "You have been simplifying the composition. I am doing the same thing with my paintings. It makes a better painting."

High praise.

@LiterateHiker ,
you are just a mere youth.

We all have our obsessions and some of us are lucky enough to indulge in our obsession whenever we want. It takes effort to have a decent garden just as it takes effort to be a serious wilderness hiker... things don't always go as we plan - yet when we stumble we just keep putting one foot in front of the other. It's not where you're going so much as how far you have come to be where you are today...

Glorious photos! 😀

I'm glad you can hike, now that your toe is better. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you so much!

@LiterateHiker I do wish you the best! 🙂

Our beautiful PNW!! So glad you had some pleasant surprises and a fun hike.

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 July 19, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:376524
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.