Agnostic.com

6 6

What does it feel like when every move you make is policed?

Existing While Black.

"Jo Etta M. Harris was nursing her child in her car before a family outing. Gil Perkins was talking on the phone outside of his home. Kelly Shepard’s boys were shopping for video games. And in each instance, someone saw them as suspicious or a threat and called the police.

"This isn’t new. It happens every day. The experiences of Harris, Perkins, Shepard – and so many others – are reminders that black people don't have the privilege to simply exist in peace.

"These aren’t exaggerated situations, but real-life injustices that black people in the United States and beyond have to deal with. Stories of white people using 911 as their personal concierge hotline against black people have dominated the mainstream news this year.

"These stories are by no means new. And despite the danger these situations put us in, the white people making these calls rarely face repercussions."

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

if they watched for a short while ,you would have hoped that common sense would kick in and that nothng wrong was happenning

Yup welcome to trumps America

bobwjr Level 10 July 21, 2019

@bobwjr

Discrimination against black people began long before Trump was born.

@LiterateHiker yup but he encourages it makes them bolder

The saddest part, is even with cell phone videos, and police body cams showing the horrors of injustice, there is none. Those who call put them in danger.

I believe that this is illegal here in Ohio.
My neighbor said it's referred to as "swatting"

I think it's horrible, the DA should charge the people making the calls, for the lost time of the P.D., 911 time etc.

A sad commentary on modern American life.

Petter Level 9 July 21, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:377241
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.