Agnostic.com

11 2

Macy’s removes plates from stores after complaints they promote eating disorders

Your thoughts?

I love how one woman photo-shopped the plates with a positive message instead.

Aubrey D. commented on Twitter:

"Macy’s just casually promoting eating disorders and body shaming."

"Another person wrote that the plates aren’t funny “when you spend your entire existence being told how to look so you can catch a man/have value, and shamed for the most natural things like gaining weight from things like pregnancy, or eating whatever you freaking like.”

"Ward said she has “friends who have been hospitalized for eating disorders, who cap off a good dinner by purging, know strong intelligent women who’ve starved themselves to be a certain size, and who obsess about calories so they’re not rejected or ridiculed."

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Then Macy's aught to also stop selling bed sheets: they are encouraging wanton sex...

Ridiculous!

Rustee Level 7 July 29, 2019

Whiners and complainers! Ridiculous!

zesty Level 7 July 22, 2019

It seems that most Americans are more concerned about what fuel they put into their lawnmower than what food they put into their own bodies.

There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm not finding it.

twill Level 7 July 22, 2019

Crappy plate for sure. I wouldnt buy it. But not into banning either.

I think the plate referencing women’s jeans sizes might be viewed as being sexist.
The others have kind of clever messages, and in a country where obesity is a serious health issue for many people - I don’t really see portion control as a bad thing.

Yeah, it was rolled out in poor taste. I agree with Macy's that they didn't think this through and took them off the market.

ballou Level 8 July 22, 2019

How does a plate do anything except hold food? I don't understand... What kind of plates are they? Are they made of sugar or cake?

@Cutiebeauty

Click on the link and page down to see at the plates.

@LiterateHiker oh, I didnt see the link.. Lol and I looked too! Must be my nap time.... I'll look now...

@Cutiebeauty

The link is at the bottom of my post. Here you go:

[huffpost.com]

@LiterateHiker OK, I see now... I probably wouldn't buy and use those plates in a household full of children but I'd use them... Maybe... I'm a tiny woman so I already eat small portions but I've no eating disorders..

@Cutiebeauty

Same here. I eat four small meals per day. Fruit or vegetable, lean protein and a whole grain.

Eating too much upsets my stomach.

@LiterateHiker after a long hike, I bet your appetite grows... I know im very hungry after my one hour run in the morning... 😊

@Cutiebeauty

Oddly, exercise reduces my appetite. Long, steep hikes burn up to 5,000 calories/day.

By August, I'm burned down to muscle. I hike year-round, using snowshoes and microspikes in winter. Have been adding ice cream to my coffee to keep my weight up.

In 2013, my boyfriend Dan convinced me to add cheese to my sandwich while hiking. Needed the calories.

Hmm. I don't know if they promote eating disorders - maybe trigger someone who already has one - but I just think they're stupid to begin with.

ridiculous ,eating disorders are caused by no will power and self induligence,,like everything else take no responsibility for your self and blame others and things for your own problems,

Um, don't buy any? I find tRump 2020 bumper stickers offensive and I believe they should be removed also.

Stupid

bobwjr Level 10 July 22, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:377717
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.