Agnostic.com

7 2

LINK Trump vows to end birthright citizenship with executive order

Trump is an idiot. He doesn't have the authority to change what is spelled out in the constitution..

snytiger6 9 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So, now we are All in danger of deportation?

I don't think trump has read the constitution. He making up bs as he goes along to support his mental illness.

Get that Fascist out of power before Trump turns us into Russia.

I don't agree with how he thinks to do this...

Not sure I understand why this is an issue...I was born in Japan but I can't be a Japanese citizen just because I was born there...the same goes for most of Europe, Asia and Australia...shouldn't one of the parents be from that country?

The historical background to our citizenship amendment, like so much else, has to do with the Civil War and slavery. (I apologize for going into History Professor mode, and for not knowing how much you already know.)

In the Dred Scott case (1856), the Supreme Court ruled, in essence, that no black was a citizen, and that they had "no rights which a white man was bound to respect" (the words of Chief Justice Roger Taney). After the war, it was vital to establish that all were citizens equally. The Civil Rights Act of 1866 established this for former slaves, but how to settle the question in perpetuity? The way to do this was by the 14th Amendment, arguably one of the most important ever passed:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Notice that persons not subject to the jusrisdiction of the United States at the time of their birth are not automatically citizens; for example, a child of foreign diplomats is not a citizen, since they are not subject to US law, they are under diplomatic immunity. And it's arguable whether a child of illegal immigrants is a birthright citizen, since the parents themselves are not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States... but would the child be? That's something I haven't looked into and am not going to, right this minute.

29 countries grant birthright citizenship. We're not the only ones, despite what trump might think. (I use the term "think" in the loosest possible sense.) [nomadcapitalist.com]

I'm reminded of Ahab boasting that he would strike the sun if it offended him....

That ain't happening...

Delusional whack job

bobwjr Level 10 July 25, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:379108
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.