Agnostic.com

2 1

Work from home

Do you work from home? If so, what do you do? Do you like it?

ashortbeauty 8 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I have worked from home since September, so about 7 months. The company that pays me is in Madison, WI and I live in Stevens Point, WI, roughly 120 miles from the office.

I am a software engineer. The product is, at its core, a video streaming service. It supports import of numerous video formats, including Flash video, Windows Media, MP4, and several others. What is streamed is primarily MP4 or some derivitave thereof. The realm in which I work is all about the formats, transcoding between formats, making sure the media server performs acceptably, and so forth. Since I have limited experience in this realm it is very challenging, but rewarding at the same time.

Working from home can also be challenging. Were it not for the fact that I have an office space in my home that is separate from the rest of the house it would be easy to get distracted. That is very important when working from home -- making sure that there is a space where you can focus on work as diligently as you would in the office. What I have going on is working out for me. Technically, I'm supposed to go into the office on an "as needed" basis, but I think the last time I was there was October. My boss is also remote and lives about 45 minutes away from me in a direction 90° from the direction of the office. A new team member is also remote, and lives near Milwaukee.

Something I have discovered about working from home:

1. The best thing about working from home is that you almost never have to go anywhere.
  2. The worst thing about working from home is that you almost never have to go anywhere.

I will go days on end without leaving the house if I don't find an excuse to do so. A couple of months ago I needed to buy some jeans. Now I easily could have ordered them online -- I know the brand and I know my size. But, instead, I chose to drive an hour to the nearest outlet that has that brand just for an excuse to get out of the house!

The whole thing is an arrangement that works very well for me. I'm quite happy with it.

I am an artist, and I take care of me mums. I like the art always, and taking care of me mums some days...haha

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38046
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.