Agnostic.com

1 1

Generation/culture gap, or willfully ignorant?

I saw a community theater musical the other day... the million dollar quartet, a fun and lite little reminiscence about the beginnings of rock n roll, with Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jonny Cash, and the head of Sun Records. It glossed right over the racism and sexism that were a huge part of that culture, and made plenty of misogynistic bawdy jokes that would never ever fly in todays society, even if they were harmless in the context they were presented (yes Jerry Lee Lewis was a cringy perverted jerk). If any popular male act now, thought that stuff was harmless fun, they'd "never work in this town again".

The audience was mostly people who actually remembered those days, people much older than i, and those people bought tickets so they could enjoy the memories they liked, not the ones they didn't. So no big surprise there. This is how capitalism works. You give the audience what they want. And lots of people enjoy forgetting about reality.

It reminds me of the same dichotomy here on agnostic, except here it's much more about willful ignorance, for at least some members. For sure there's an age factor, though I don't think it's conclusive.. There are plenty of folks here, much older than I, whom are well aware that the world that they'd like to have lived in, never existed then and certainly doesn't exist now. But there are those who aren't. The latest round of #metoo debates and appropriate behavior vs opinions vs site rules, really underlines how out of touch the generations are, with each other (or at least, can be). But not making the effort to understand your role in maintaining that ignorance, is not ok.

MarkiusMahamius 7 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The actual criteria should Always be, if you are a guy, and it gets you beat up if you try it on a guy, maybe you should not try it on a woman! And Visa-versa, as I have sadly seen some women lately being damned inappropriate with guys, too.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:381047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.