Agnostic.com

15 3

Is forcing religion on your children as bad as child abuse?

We can all agree that indoctrination of religion, and teaching it as fact is a bad thing. But Richard Dawkins has claimed that forcing a religion on children without questioning its merits is as bad as 'child abuse'. What do you think about this?

Procyon 3 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes it is abuse. It is brain washing at a young age, by your parents, whom you trust. You look up to them an take it as truth. Would have been totally different if had told us that it was something that they believed, but we should always question everything.

I think it is a mild form of abuse. But then denying your kids knowledge of religion could also be considered abuse. A balance needs to be found.

Depends on the abuse. All things are subjective. If I had to to choose Jesus over a thorough beating and some "bad touch," I'm gonna have to go with Jesus. But just barely.

I think that, as an American, while this is a tough issue, America, with the 1st Amendment, allows parents to choose what to teach their children... I meet folks who argue vehemently that this is abuse that should be banned, and while we can all agree that there are aspects of religious belief that are abusive, I can't see America changing on this issue any time in my lifetime. In the meantime, the best we can do is enforce the 1st Amend which allows us to teach our own kids nonbelief.

It IS child abuse.

It is a form of child abuse.

Well, raising children in a cult and telling them lies is considered abusive i would hope.

been severely restricted by iceland and denmark. But that would make the tooth fairy the same . SO BE IT. although I do remember running under my kids' bedroom windows with a sleigh bell. guilty as charged

Mentally abusive maybe, it's manipulative, especially if the child doesn't want it and is being treated differently for it. Some families even disown kids who refuse to conform to religion, it's really sad.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Nov 15, 2017

Yes. Forcing them to do anything is abusive

I'm not sure how bad it is on the child but I wonder how bad it is on society. What rights they want to practice are one thing but what about when people use religion to justify fighting to remove abortion right for other people, fighting to remove marriage rights for other people, fighting to remove rights of freedom from religion for other people.

Mmm.... I agree. Its child abuse. Ive seen young children crying and praying for forgiveness with their hands and arms in the air. My ex brother-in-law was exorcised at 16 because his mother couldn't get him to surrender to achieving the art of speaking in tongues. I found this out 5 years later. Good thing i didnt know this was going down. I'd whipped every one of them. I'm sure he still carries these mental scares of this abuse. Religion can distort reality. Look around and see if prayers saved the hurricane victoms of louisiana and Texas. Hmmm... religion can hurt children in some cases. In most cases its the people in charge of those children thats hurting them.

I think forcing anything on children is bad. Except for coats. They might freeze if you don’t get them wrapped up. Lol

I think forcing anything on children is bad. Except for coats. They might freeze if you don’t get them wrapped up. Lol

Winter boots can be a nightmare too. lol

Not immediately. But, if that religions' theology is rigidly and judgmentally dogmatic and restrictive, it can still do huge damage to the person and others he or she comes into contact with can be huge.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3833
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.