Agnostic.com

6 1

I have a question for anyone who wished to respond.
Do you feel obligated sometimes to defend your beliefs? By this I mean, do you ever feel self-conscious or defensive? Has anyone out there never felt that way? Perhaps some feel as if they've moved past the need or desire to explain, articulate, maybe even justify not believing in the generally accepted version of God.

My brother and his extended family are Seventh Day Adventists. There have never been any problems with my being agnostic, either when I was a very busy Buddhist, or now, fifteen years later. Mostly I find nature in all its formats and iterations, the physical world and the universe more than enough to appreciate, study, worship, explore, understand, be in awe of...... Just existing in this way is pretty darn inspring.

Escott 4 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not sure that I have very many 'beliefs' I think I am pretty much tuned in to my minute by minute life - before I retired I was a practising person centered therapist and grounded in that approach. I like to stay 'here and now' when I am washing plates I find it pretty easy to keep washing them without tuning out so I probably don't have room for beliefs and the more I say that 'b' -word the less sense it seems to make - Life just is.

Defensive? I’d say that I’ve probably quietly felt defensive for years as I went through life trying to live in sync with common values and ethics because I wasn’t out inviting people to come in to our church or singing loudly during the hymns (and this was at the mainstream church). Never mind trying not to roll my eyes at any sermon that started to mention the words of Paul.

If anything, i feel a need to voice my beliefs. I think I'm right, and I want to challenge my beliefs. If I can change a mind or two, bonus. I also come from a 7th day adventist background.

Obligated, No.

But I often engage with theists, and will always engage with science deniers/my faith is greater then facts. (Such levels of stupidity can not go unchallenged.)

Sometimes I will bring them to tears when they discover how void of facts the foundation of their belief structure rests.

but it does depends on the situation. Lately I will just roll my eyes as I am so surrounded by so many delusional superstitionalists.

Yes, sometimes I feel obligated to defend. Then I realize that it is like taking a pacifier away from a "teething" baby.

The only person I have ever felt odd about discussing atheism/agnosticism with is my mother. Actually we have never really talked about it. She still talks about religious stuff when we talk, not trying to change my mind, just local goings on.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.