Agnostic.com

8 1

QUESTION No Kidding: Sexist Jokes Aren't Funny, They're Hostile.

From the link..

“"Sexist humor is not simply benign amusement. It can affect men's perceptions of their immediate social surroundings and allow them to feel comfortable with behavioral expressions of sexism without the fear of disapproval of their peers," said Thomas E. Ford, a faculty member in the psychology department at WCU. "Specifically, we propose that sexist humor acts as a 'releaser' of prejudice."

Think about that for a minute.

Sexist jokes not only allow men (and sadly, women) to believe that sexist behaviour falls within the bounds of social acceptability, it also reveals people's deep-rooted -- and often undetected -- prejudices about a woman's place in our world.”

If you find sexist jokes funny, if you defend people who tell them or make excuses for their “humor,” have you ever considered that you may have a deep rooted prejudice against women?

How would you go about educating a person to help them away from this attitude when they’re so quick to blame shift?

AMGT 8 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with much of what you're saying. I've heard many sextist jokes in my time none of which I find funny. I had a former family member (by marriage) who used to tell a particular joke from time to time. The punch line involved equating men with pigs. My question to you is in which way does a joke equating men with pigs indicate that the teller of the joke has a "deep rooted prejudice against women"?

It's a good thing I'm no good at joke telling. One less thing to get me in trouble. I don't find them funny when there against anyone, especially when abusive behavior is involved. Making jokes about yourself can be funny.

jokes are meant to allow yourself to imagine freedom of thought. Enjoy the good ones and cringe at the bad ones like the rest of us !

Sexist jokes are pretty much like racist jokes; they only appeal to the ignorant.

you've obviously never been told one that gems with you [ or about you]

My mom was a Ordained (United. Brethren) Later
Methodist. 1930 in Nebraska.
I never thought of Diety.
I don't think it's time to get to see the world in ?

Agreed.

From the link...I'm paraphrasing here: When a joke becomes cringe-inducing it ceases to be a joke.

Of course, I've heard (and told) all kinds of these jokes over the years, they get told for many reasons. Drunkenness is one, I've heard most of them in work situations where there weren't any women on the job site, even a genuine dislike of women for their own reasons.

Too much allowance of rude things being publicly said nowadays.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.