Agnostic.com

12 2

GMO - If you had the option of altering embryonic dna for the selection of particular traits in your offspring - would you?

What traits would you pick?

#DNA #GMO
atheist 8 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sure, why not. So long as you don't do something crazy that would have negative consequences for them. You might be tempted to argue that it's not right to choose for someone else, but did you get to choose your traits? From the perspective of the child what difference does it make whether their traits were chosen or not if they don't get a say in it anyway. At least with genetic engineering the child would have hopefully more good traits than they might otherwise have.

There is someone with the means to do that in dogs and he's being blocked by the FDA, an "at home" gene modifying procedure. He wants to alter the dna of dalmations with the Hyperuricosuria (uric acid stones) gene. Think about that, if you know what you're doing homemade gene splicing. 😮
The dal clubs will probably have issues with that too. -_-

@atheist It's freaky that it can be done at home? And that the FDA will try to stop you?
The breeds clubs well they're another story. Someone did a single outcross in the 70's which was said to remove the deadly condition. Those outcrosses are still controversial to this day so no telling.
Doing something like this would allow them their precious "clean" pedigrees with a single alteration in the otherwise fragile gene pool. I'm convinced serious dog people are another species of human, for better and worse.

@atheist There are great and not so in the culture. Dog shows are about evaluating breeding stock. Done well and properly it's a lifestyle. That "status" types are the ones who get things going sideways. The true preservationists keep breeds from going extinct and try to maintain a healthier gene pool. You(global) also can't just walk in cash in hand and get a dog from one of these. The good thing is if your life goes tits up there are tight knit communities that will make sure your dog never sees the inside of a shelter.
Same if you(global) do wrong by your dog, you'll have a hard time not having your name set on fire.

@atheist absolutely! LOL
If people would buy better it would put the humane societies out of business.

@atheist a great deal of the homeless animal problem is bad buyers/homes because they weren't screened, just get their animals cash in hand. But then if screened in our 'instant gratfication society' people get mad over being turned down so they invariably go someplace easier. A good breeder is not going to give just anyone a dog. They want to see pictures of your house and character references, veterinarian & trainer references put ppl at the front of the line. but like I said, the great thing about that is if you die, or become critically ill, your dog is safe.

I would consider so-called "negative eugenics," making certain I didn't pass down known negative genes on to offspring. I'm a carrier for Infantile Tay Sachs and Phenylketonuria. Unfortunately, they only have "suspect genes" for a lot disorders I have I wouldn't care to pass on to offspring.

It's kind of an academic question for me, since with my extensive autoimmunity I would need to take immunosuppressants to get anywhere near viability, and since I have 2 Primary Immunodeficiency Disorders, taking immunosuppressants would probably kill me well before then. I will not be having children.

I think that is at the end a rocky road.

of course

Great question. Difficult to answer.
Me, personally, I might consider it, if it's to correct a problem or defect. But what is a defect? Where is that line, and different people draw the line in different places. Some people might consider brown eyes and defect. Some folks might consider 'average' intelligence a defect, and modify for higher intelligence. Perhaps someone considers empathy a defect and genetically modified for psychopathic offspring...
I'm not a geneticist, but generally support the idea of learning more about genes & the human genome. I'm not opposed to the idea of GMO, but where would we draw the line, and who are we to draw lines for other people?
Thought provoking indeed.

Only to remove DNA segments that cause genetic diseases.

Ive thought about this and the russian experiment with taming wild foxes. Im sure there is a way to eliminate the characteristic of violence from human behavior. Perhaps if we genetically modified our wild offspring we could get a human that is much less prone to using violence against others. Maybe if we eliminated wild offspring in humans in favor of genetically modified humans we could achieve world peace.

To select traits (eye color, height, etc.) No. If something had gone horribly wrong (compatiblity with life wrong) and they could fix it I can't say I wouldn't consider it if it ment my child would live.

@atheist I don't think so. Blond hair and blue eyes is rare in adults and maybe 'valued' because of rarity. If people choose to force the genetics to the blond and blue result eventually wouldn't brown hair and eyes become the desired trait as they would become rare?
Muscular build is a more difficult question as it depends on what you are hoping to gain.

@atheist to true! So many advances have lead down a path of misery from greed.

I love topics like this! Our current understanding of human genetics isn't adequate enough to customize every possible trait, but research is being conducted with the eventual hope of being able to modify the DNA of humans in mind. I think all sorts of ethical questions abound when considering the altering of human DNA to fit a certain ideal, however there are aspects of this touchy discussion that I do agree with. If we have the power to fix genetic diseases, deformities, etc, in vitro--I would say we should.

Mea Level 7 Mar 17, 2018

That's one of the ethical problems in and of itself--only the rich will be able to afford these types of proceedures. It's especially bad if we can figure out how to "code" for certain traits or abilities because the rich will ensure the rich get richer. If everyone who is rich has children that are talented at everything, that have no genetic problems, etc. then people from less fortune backgrounds will never be able to compete.

If I could have stopped my son from having autism yes.

More brain capacity and fitness indicators

Yeah I'm all for GMO I'm all pro choice.

@atheist fear, fear what? Xmen?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38444
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.