Agnostic.com

13 8

Hello, all. I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rae, and I am a 29 year old atheist and antitheist. I have a particular gripe and disdain for Abrahamic religion, so that is where I focus most of my vitriol (lol). I am Afro-Mexican, living in Texas... so, needless to say, I don't fit in here.

*Why I am herešŸ˜˜ I'm on the site for friends, good conversations, and whatever good experienes may come my way. So, if you're looking for similar, feel free to respond here and or message me.

*Fun factsšŸ˜˜ My all-time favorite band is Deftones. Pho, sushi, and ramen are my favorite foods. I'm an anglophile. My favorite movies in no particular order: The Taoist Wizard, Fight Club, the Great Gatsby, Bourne trilogy, Five Deadly Venoms, Good Will Hunting, Rock n Rolla, and Snatch. My fave books: God is Not Great, Cosmos, Malcolm X autobiography, A Universe from Nothing, and generally anything Hitchens. I love people, culture, and nature. I'm pretty free-spirited, and very much a flirt (lol). I have a crush on a lot of scientists and public intellectuals (like Lawrence Krauss, Brian Cox, etc). I love nature, culture, music, anime, good food, and good company. I'm an anime and manga nerd.

*How/Why I became an atheistšŸ˜˜ I grew up in an extremely religious family (Baptist, conservative republican Latinos in Texas), but the message never quite stuck with me no matter how hard I tried. At the age of 14, I gave up trying when I had an awful experience with my family because I "didn't feel the angels" around us. I said to myself, "If a god does exist, it clearly doesn't want me to believe. So fuck it/him." I stopped believing privately, but "came out" around the age of 20 or so.

Throughout my childhood, no matter how I tried, I just couldn't believe (and I really did try, because I didn't want my family to turn their backs on me). No matter how I tried, God seemed so alien, so distant, so cruel, so... flawed and human. I couldn't understand how any loving god could allow such suffering among "his" creations.

Living in Texas, and having the family I have, it has been a battle... especially when looking for like-minded people. And the search for like-minded people is the reason I am here šŸ™‚.

RaeBxtchens 5 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jeez, you sound awesome.

Lol! I think I'm pretty awesome, but I'm probably biased. šŸ˜‰

Jeez, you sound awesome.

Hello Rae ....welcome , enjoy yourself here . I must say though ,that according to another post I read here today that you,ve only got until June 24 th ..... If that turns out to be untrue , can we live in sin ? I,m quite willing to travel outside of Cornwall .

Lol! What happens in June? Another end of the world scare?

@RaeBxtchens Yep ! Some idiot has worked it out using numbers gleaned from the bible or something

Hi Rae,

I'll share a virtual beer with you. Pull up a chair, sit yourself down and join in with the banter. Some post will make you laugh, some will make you cringe, but most will make you think.

Welcome to the party. Have fun.

Lol. I think I'd rather a shot, or plum wine... Other than that, thank you!

It's a virtual bar, so can drink what you like - and no hangover!

Welcome to the madhouse.

Hi and welcome to our freethinker community.I love sushi too. Who else likes sushi?

Nigiri is everything great in the world, lol

Love sashimi

There is no evidence for the alleged Abram Mosa or Jesua. ....fighting back against the criminal theocrats of Texas is our Atheist duty. ...let me know if you'd like a comrade to defeat Raphael Cruz Junior alias Senator Ted

I don't see the criminal behavior and religiosity of this state changing any time soon, comrade.

Welcome aboard. We are clearly a better community now that you have joined our ranks.

I fully share your views on literature, religion, and most movies you noted (I haven't screened your entire movie list) but your music (rather sure it is good) represents a different time genre.

I hope you find this website an intellectually stimulating avenue to broaden your horizon.

I'm sure you will be very successful in finding like-minded people.

As we share for the most part the same world view it is reasonable to expect you will also enjoy most interactions with those on these pages. However, I have experienced several members that do not share our atheist and/or anti-theist or a disdain for Abrahamic religions. You may also encounter interactions with a few science deniers, spirit believers, and theists on these pages. Happily, they are few in number but they do exist.

Anglophile. . . Although my ancestors are from Europe, I have an equal appreciation for Native American culture as I have spent many years teaching on a Native American reservation. I could write pages about the evils the English condoned Abrahamic religions have done to the culture and native people of the United States.

Texas? Have you checked out Austin's "The Atheist Experience?ā€

[atheist-experience.com]

Thank you for such a warm welcome šŸ™‚.

I can talk movies and music (and religion) all day, lol. Deftones is my favorite band, but I have an eclectic taste. I like something from almost any genre. What I listen to most: Rock, hip hop (including Korean, Japanese, and others), classical, traditional chinese, traditional Japanese, "new age," soul... What type of music do you enjoy?

I should take out the part about anglophile, because I honestly love culture. Did a lot of anthropology and related courses for fun, lol. I am part Yaqui, and as a Black Mexican with Native American ancestry, I definitely know the evil done to all groups of people of color who have dealt with colonization.

I love the Atheist Experience, and have a huge crush on Jeff Dee, lol.

@RaeBxtchens Just checked out Deftones and they rock. Very nice. Reminds me of Ozzy Osborne. As far as the music I enjoy: Rachmaninoff, Mahler, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Wagner, Mozart, Strauss, Philip Glass, etc. and for more popular music from Abba to Zappa including many movie soundtracks and musicals.

I spend a great deal of my free time working on projects in my home theater (Profile photo) and listen to many movies without firing up the projector. To my surprise, some movies are actually more enjoyable without the video. Often, movies are equally enjoyable while some movies like Avatar are eye-candy in 3d but each playback of the soundtrack minus the projector makes that movie increasingly ludicrous minus the amusing repercussions.

Anthropology courses for fun. I take my hat off to anyone who enriches their understanding of culture.

You have a rich ancestry and most likely have a significantly greater understanding of the evils of colonization then I. Most of my accounts are are stories from countless hours with Native American elders from the great plains (spent a decade (teacher) on a res and have a few elder friends in my current position that enrich my understating of their culture and history). I am Currently reading ā€œ Battlefield & Classroomā€ It is well written and I think you may enjoy it.

Jeff Dee is very good. I greatly enjoy his ā€œFail of (insert many Christian related topics)ā€ series. My favorite regular on that show is Matt Dillahunty.

@NoMagicCookie I'm glad you enjoyed them! I have suggestions, if you like šŸ™‚. What did you listen to, if I may ask? That may give me a feel of what to suggest.

I love classical music, but don't know all the names. I know many of the ones you named, though (Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss...). I enjoy them.

I'm not surprised some movies are more enjoyable without the video and just the sound, and the reverse is probably true, too (subtitles only). I can see how taking one sensory experience away may completely alter the feel of a film.

I have a greater understanding from personal experiences, and I am trying to also have the understanding from an academic perspective. One could argue living it/observing it is an academic perspective. Lol. I would love to sit with elders. I envy you that šŸ™‚. I will check the book suggestion out!

Jeff Dee is my crush, but Matt is definitely the best one on the show, in terms of oration and reason.

@RaeBxtchens You do have good taste in music. The following is a short list (in order of most liked) of Deftones, productions I have sampled:: Phantom Bride, Sextape, Rosemary, Change, My Own Summer, and Minerva. I prefer ā€œThe Carsā€ version of ā€œDriveā€ I would appreciate a few suggestions.

You have a good point about the reverse (movie video without audio) heightening the sensory experience of the artistic production. This reminds me of something Neil DeGrasse Tyson noted in an interview somewhere. (if memory serves) He was talking about how necessary it is to observe people and learn from their interactions. As an exercise for his kids, he talked about watching movies without sound and how this activity was an exercise to extrapolate the story and interactions of the characters based only on the images. (No CC text)

A few years ago after a few hundred miles on the road I met Matt and Aaron Ra in a conference in Fargo. Matt is great but Aaron Ra is most impressive.

@NoMagicCookie I do enjoy Aaron. They're all brilliant in their own right... I'm particularly fond of Godless Bitches, but I'm a bit biased there, lol.

I'm a fairly modest and humble person, but I am a bit of a music snob. You chose great songs to listen to. Some suggestions: Digital bath (official video), The Chauffeur (Duran Duran cover), Prince. Beware (the water). Change (in the house of flies). I think Change is the sexiest song I've ever heard.

I'll see if I can find that interview you mentioned. Sounds fascinating.

Wow you sound really cool, love your hair, flirt away my love lol, ill chat anytime if im on here or as you say message me.I can't even stalk you as I live in England so your even reasnably safe lol. nice introduction. I felt the same about religion being sent to sunday school to talk about a load of crap. I didnt like normal school but to waste my knee scuffing and bleeding sundays was taking the fucking piss.

Welcome here!

Thank you!

Welcome!

gater Level 7 Mar 17, 2018

Thank you!

Welcome šŸ™‚
I think the people here are friendly, intelligent and empathetic. Hope you can derive positivity from being a part of this group. I know I have. šŸ™‚

Thanks so much! I sure hope so, lol. I look forward to getting to know more people here. <3 I'm glad you've had such a positive experience.

Welcome to the asylum! Enjoy your stay!

Thank you!

Glad to meet you. Hope you enjoy it here Iā€™m relatively new here myself but myself on here more than Facebook. Hope to have some good conversations with you in the future.

Glad to meet you, as well. Thanks for the warm welcome, lol. I look forward to conversing with you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38457
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.