Agnostic.com

11 14

Lighten Up: A Better Banana Bread

Compared to traditional banana bread, this one has half the sugar and fat, but tastes just as sweet and delicious. I even threw in some pecans and still kept the calorie count at 158.

This recipe makes great muffins: 375 degrees for approximately 22 minutes. Spray muffin pan with baking spray with flour. For easy cleanup, set 12 paper muffin cups in dry sink; spray with baking spray with flour. Place paper cups in muffin pan.

Banana-Nut Bread

For banana loaf, preheat oven to 350 degrees. For muffins, preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1 cup mashed, very ripe bananas (about 3 small)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg white
1/4 cup butter, melted. Add butter last to wet ingredients to avoid cooking the egg.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans, preferably lightly toasted

Baking spray with flour

Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until well-blended. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients, stirring well; stir in pecans.

Add flour mixture to banana mixture, gently stirring just until moistened.

Spoon batter into pan coated with baking spray with flour (or muffin cups). Bake loaf at 350 degrees for 1 hour and five minutes. Bake muffins at 375 degrees for approximately 22 minutes. When a wooden pick inserted at center comes out clean, it's done.

Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan, and cool completely on a rack.

Yield 14 servings (serving size: 1 slice). Makes 12 muffins.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds lovely but what a lot of sugar !!

@Moravian

It's half the sugar in the original recipe. Spoil sport.

@LiterateHiker Sugar has sucrose. Sucrose causes visceral fat accumulation, and it causes brain damage. Visceral fat stores toxins. I'm sure the list goes on.

@LiterateHiker True, but I sometimes think recipes are made by Tate an Lyle. I often see recipes for savoury dishes which have refined sugar as an ingredient

@Moravian

It's a recipe from Cooking Light magazine.

@LiterateHiker Could the sugar be replaced with stevia or splenda? I am diabetic.

@scout123456

It's worth a try. I don't know. Have never used sugar substitutes.

This is not going to lighten anybody up. Doing the right thing (which also means eating the right thing) lightens people up. Next time, just hire child-workers if you need to make dominion for yourself. Supporting the consumption of junk food is passive aggression.

Sounds wonderful! I love quick breads, make it with pears, spaghetti squash, green tomatoes, pumpkin and bananas. Haven't tried this one but will. I am sharing it with my "battling obesity" group, lower calorie variations are always good to have.

How ironic I have banana bread in the oven now! I use a recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cook book (I think that's the cook book I use...have to go look now). I have to say those muffins look yummy. Too bad you can't take them right from the computer screen!

Yummy for the Tummy I can almost smell them from here

Yumm, thanks for sharing!

I will take a order to go. Hold the pecans.

@djs64, @Heidi68, @dalefvictor, @freedom41, @leeshi, @pamscwf1, @Julie808, @Heidi68, @Mitch07102, @ChurchLess, @dalefvictor

At first, I forgot the butter. If you copied the recipe, add:

1/4 cup melted butter. Add last to wet ingredients to avoid cooking eggs.

I have found that mixing the wet ingredients with the sugar in a blender makes it really nice and smooth. In the recipe I make, it's the mashed bananas, sugar, eggs, and melted butter. And let the bananas age as much as possible. The riper the banana, the sweeter. Used just ripened bananas once, didn't taste nearly as well.

yum!

djs64 Level 7 Aug 14, 2019

Now I want to bake stuff!

I just gained another 10 pounds. Thanks!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:388967
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.