Agnostic.com

6 1

LINK Chinese Cartoonist, Collaborator Arrested for Unpatriotic Comics

I don’t blame the Chinese government for having hard feelings, but on the other hand Japanese culture is so cool I can see why someone would be attracted to it.

From Language Log: You will note, in the bottom left of the cartoon, that the artist signs her name as "@Tachibanabuta". Tachibana, written with the kanji 橘 or 立花, is a fairly common surname in Japanese, and "buta" means "pig", so the artist is referring to herself as a pig ... The "Pig Nation Dream" (zhūguó mèng 猪国梦) cartoon probably didn't do much to help the artist's situation.

altschmerz 9 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That photograph next to the artist's work feels like dishonest representation of her message and an insult to the individuals pictured.

@altschmerz I think my first impression was my own projection. Really I don't know anything about this artist and her message. Still think it comes across as insult.

It seems the arrest is more to do with the anti jingri laws than the cartoon specifically, and to be fair similar laws exist in Europe for holocaust deniers and Nazi glorification. There is a LONG history of hatred between the Japanese and the Chinese especially during the 20th century.
However though arresting a satirist is not on, nevertheless her activities seem not aimed at social change but at simple mockery and public outrage in which case she may have been better advised to have stayed in Japan.

@altschmerz but often one is the root of the other

Cool cartoon … Unfortunately the emperor, the great Xi DaDa, is not particularly impressed by humour, especially when it targets social injustices.

Wow

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 16, 2019

The article says the Chinese were arresting and punishing these sorts of social protest for years before they had passed a law against it. Funny ... the cartoon depicted what Chinese in the photo were doing.

It was the mahong games they had in the aisles, that people completely ignored the seatbelt sign and regularly had lifestock in the cabin with them! Dragonair was one of the scariest experiences of my life!

@altschmerz several times

Don't tell people that Spirit Airlines will hire you as head of cost cutting

@altschmerz I have never seen other than bipedal livestock on planes. On buses it's different. But I have only seen piglets and feathered animals on buses, never on high-speed trains. But I wouldn't be surprised that cheap trains carry passengers with animals.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:389520
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.