Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK Against Literalism—'The Satanic Verses' Fatwa at 30 - Quillette

This is a recap, from the article: The Satanic Verses is therefore not only a work of astonishing beauty but also a foundational document in the fight for culture, openness, civilization, and civility against those who wish to see those things stifled by narrow-minded faith-based puritanism. Salman Rushdie’s life and work remind us of the importance of this battle and the necessity of remaining staunch and unyielding in the task of defending civilization against its enemies in whatever grotesque permutations they appear.

zblaze 7 Aug 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I haven't read the book. I heard at the time that it was a bit dull and boring but may give it a try. I beleive there was also a fatwa on Ayan Hirsi Ali who's writing I really enjoy and admire.

I finally picked up a copy. I'll be reading it soon to find out what all the commotion is about...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:390151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.