Agnostic.com

12 9

Do your kids want something of yours for sentimental reasons?

"I love falling asleep to the sound of your sewing machine, Mama," Claire said as a child.

I asked if she wants my old sewing machine. "It's sentimental, so I want it," Claire, 29, replied today. "I'm so excited to have it! I remember the sound of it, and still listen to white noise because of it while I sleep."

That is so sweet. I will teach Claire to use the sewing machine. This warms my heart.

With my sturdy Husqvarna sewing machine, I made nearly all of Claire's clothes and Halloween costumes, with matching costumes for her dolls. Laughingly gave her five-minute wiggle breaks.

Now I'm learning how to use a new, computerized sewing machine. Aauugh! Steep learning curve. It's easy to feel overwhelmed. One step at a time.

Today I figured out how to wind the bobbin and thread the machine. Could not get it to self-thread. On YouTube videos, the presenters' hands were in front of the needle.

Frustrated, I put myself down for a nap. Got up refreshed and mastered the self-threader.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What precious memories for both of you, @LiteraterHiker! You’ve reminded me of a precious memory of my own. My mother also made all of her clothes and ours when I was growing up. One Christmas I came downstairs to find my dolls lined up on the sofa in new clothes, with new wardrobes around them. She had used fabric remnants from our clothes to make clothes for my dolls. Looking back, with four kids in six years, I don’t know where she found the time, and Santa got all the credit. I must go right now and thank her! And thank you.

@Lauren

Thank you for your touching, thoughtful reply. I appreciate you.

@LiterateHiker The same back at you, and thanks for sweetening my mother's day.

All the cool stuff in my house has already been claimed. My task is now to get them to take it home before I die.. I try sneaking it in with the grandchildren, but my aughter send it right back- no room in their place.

My Mother make most of my clothes until she passed. She loved to do it and I really appreciated the shirts. She taught me to sew, iron, do the laundry and clean the house. I appreciate what you have done for your daughter, I know the sound and the love involved.

I feel your pain with the new machine. Every time I get mine out I have to get the manual out too.

My parents wouldn't be called minimalists (no one used that term then) but they weren't "thing" people. They didn't collect anything, and had only a few knick-knacks. I internalized this mindset, so well before minimalism became trendy I was one, again not using the term. I had a small number of items from my now deceased parents, but already gave them to my adult children with the proviso that they are under no obligation or expectation to keep. I do not place sentimentality in physical items.

Didn't you use a treadle machine?

@Petter

What gave you that idea? I always used an electric sewing machine.

@LiterateHiker We didn't. Electricity was only available when the generator was running. ie. between 7pm and 10pm each night.

Great you obviously have a good relationship. Learning to use a sowing machine is on the bucket list, I don't want to do anything fancy especially, just to know how. Though it is very hard to get good mens hankies in the UK these days, even if you pay designer prices, so that always seemed like a good simple starter project.

Your daughter is precious in her costumes . My kids and grandchildren have been instructed to take pictures of what they want. After they print them off, I will sign to verify that's what they get. My first granddaughter wanted one of my skillets and a wood stove. I gave her Kenneth's 57 Ford for graduation. I went ahead and gave her the skillet when she was here last time. I've been trying to give them things they like whenever they are settled enough to have a place for them. I am definitely at the downsizing stage of life.

Yes, my money 🙂

@Moravian

No kidding.

My daughter might want one of my guitars (the one she learned the happy chord on)

Your post reminds me of this song by John McCutcheon

That is excellent she wants it ,so many these days do not

@RoyMillar

You're right. Not many children want to learn to sew.

"I'll always have you to mend my clothes," Claire said as a teenager when I offered to teach her to sew.

When Claire and Matt have kids (they plan to), Claire may want to sew for their children.

I made my mother-of-the bride dress. On sale, the fabric and zipper cost $18.

You are a very talented lady on many levels

That’s so sweet! My grandma had an old Singer with a foot treadle. My cousin got it, but I still have a dozen quilts. I remember clothes, and especially the Laura Ingalls dress and sun bonnet she made me the year I first read and fell in love with the books.
My daughter will want my fall decor and my jewelry tools/supplies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:390341
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.