Agnostic.com

5 2

Here's a little thought experiment I came up with when writing a science fiction story:

Lt's say that the christians got what they always wanted: the entire world was converted to christianity. There were no other philosophies; only the one blaring monotone. Even other christian doctrines would be gone.

Let's go forward a few thousand years. What would christianity be like?

So much of christianity is an attack on other religions. In that future, with that part of the religion removed, what would happen? There would be no need to evangelize. There would be no need to quote the bible, as everyone had it taught to them endlessly.

Now, picture these people, who would at that time be unaware that there was even any other form of thinking. They did not have the intellectual background needed to defend their beliefs, because it wasn't needed.

And then one day they experience something that shows them that what they believed was wrong. How would they react?

I have my own thoughts on this scenario, but I'd really be interested to see what all of you would think. I should add that christianity's goal of winning over the world would be the worst thing that could happen, as far as the philosophy itself would be concerned.

Robotbuilder 7 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Due to many Christians being pretty poorly behaved due to God allegedly absolving their sins every Sunday I think life would pretty much go on as usual. With the usual crimes, hatred and petty crap. I wish I had a higher opinion of Christianity...but hey there's a reason I'm on this site!

It would become a sterile, totalitarian society which would eventually crumble. Your idea reminds me of the image of "the communist utopia" which Marx and later communist intelledtuals predicated. All total system idelogies-- religious or political -- fail if they of their total system ideologies come into power.

Considering the ''be fruitful and multiply'' nonsense vomited up by Christians of the Catholic and Mormon stripe, we'd all be dead due to human overpopulation!

There have been (always will be) atheists since the beginning of recorded history and they'd continue. Now..would they be hunted down and murdered in your future vision? Would this be a kind of ''Handmaid's Tale" for women? Interesting concept....will you publish?

The story was published in 1990 or so in LISFAN magazine. It was called "Hallowed Be Thy Name," I was just interested in seeing what other takes people would have on the idea.

I won't go into the plot; if you're interested, I could make a PDF of the story.

To begin with, I'm not too sure what Christianity is because I don't know anyone who actually practices anything close to what Jesus taught about anything.
Secondly, there's only one thing a Christian hates more than a non-believer and that's a Christian of another denomination.

Couldn't happen - I think at some point at least a few people will get bored and start questioning the status quo. Life can't exist in a vacuum.

godef Level 7 Mar 18, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.