Do you agree or disagree?

And why. Tell us in the comments.

• 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 6 votes
Maya405 7 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

physical, mental, financial or emotional wound?

Depends if my wound is a sunburn.

Because mental and emotional wounds are much deeper than sunburn..or scrapes

First we have to establish the efficacy of aloe vera. Different medical journals claim mild benefit (mainly for cutaneous injuries), no benefit, or even delayed wound healing (mainly when used at surgical sites, such as a study done with cesarean section healing at the University of Southern California).

So given the choice between love and aloe after sustaining a serious injury, I might be more inclined to take the love, because even if the benefit were negligible, it's better than the potentially detrimental effect of rubbing aloe into my wounds.

But the benefit of love is not negligible. Of course we'd need to define love. But a metastudy titled "The Impact of Psychological Stress on Wound Healing: Methods and Mechanisms", published in the Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America revealed that "psychological stress can have a substantial and clinically relevant impact on wound repair." So naturally anything that would diminish psychological stress (i.e., affection) would yield observable benefit.

Further, the study "Microbial Symbionts Accelerate Wound Healing via the Neuropeptide Hormone Oxytocin" published in PLOS One showed that oxytocine - the very chemical our brains release when we hug, kiss, etc. - accelerates wound healing.

TL;DR: affectionate behavior is scientifically proven to be more effective than aloe vera when it comes to severe wound healing.

Ariel Level 4 Nov 16, 2017

This is genius, @Ariel, i 'felt' it but it wasn't clear to me.
But now, it is.
Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words, @Maya405 . Glad I could help!

Ok, im a loser on this one. My wife says im not a romantic. My thoughts are, i can love you from another state, but you have a burn, you better use the Aloe Vera gel. My across the state love want cause that burn pain to go away. Ok, you can shoot me...lol

I would, @BucketlistBob, if i wasn't sworn to non-violence.

I'm going into mom role here and I think there may be a few others out there. I disagreed because a small wound in a child will be healed with medical treatment such as ointment or ice but the emotional wound will be healed with a kiss and a cuddle. Ice cream and cookies to follow.

Betty Level 8 Nov 16, 2017

Yes, we can use them both.
Good stuff is everywhere.

If the question is metaphorical...love can heal psychological wounds better than aloe vera

Love and Aloe Vera gel would treat totally different kinds of wounds. Love would heal emotional wounds, while Aloe Vera would heal physical wounds. It's an irrelevant (B.S.) comparison because the two have virtually no overlap in purpose.

At that level, i agree, it is BS.

Interestingly there is no such thing as "love" as an emotion. We confuse other real emotions and then "interpret" those into this "love" thingamajig.
Silly little endorphins. Lust, want, desire, fear of loosing, fulfillment of inner insecurities...... yep! But not LOVE.....
And the only CURE is TIME....

You just stated that there is no such thing as love, then went on to describe exactly what love is. An emotion made up of other emotions.

@resoluterecovery and @Paul628, i have quoted you in my new post, hope it's okay with you. If not, let me know, i'll delete the post.

Neutral, because I'm a little baffled by the question.
What type of wound is it? Physical or emotional, or both?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3916
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.