Agnostic.com

4 4

Things that enrage me: when atheists do that Christian thing and spread rumors without fact checking themselves.

St Patrick did not drive out snakes. Ireland never had any. Snakes are not a euphemism for pagans. That myth is not very old. He brought Catholicism to Ireland to counter protestants. He didn't mass kill pagans. Here's one of a billion articles. Fucking fact check yourself about everything you believe or spread. Not just this subject either. Be better than blatant religious idiocy.
[patheos.com]

Holyhellkel 6 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just don't like talking about religion really

My belief,has always been, religion,is all about, intupition, 100 people,can look   at something, 100
different ways !

It's just a legend. St. Patrick isn't that great of a story, in real life...

Protestantism began in 1517 when Luther published the 95 Theses; St Patrick lived in the 5th Century CE - so he can't have brought Catholicism to Ireland to counter protestants. The snakes thing is correct though, there have never been any wild snakes in Ireland during the post-glacial period.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

Thank you.

I thought that was the protestant uprising that lead to the era where being Catholic was illegal. I forget the name. I was so angry about the pagans that I did exactly what I'm mad about and didn't double check the other half. When my hangover ends I will :

Ah duh. He had hallucinations from his god saying he would be freed from his slavery so he wanted to pay back god by spreading it through Ireland.

I confused the protestant part with the guy who taught everyone to read and the king was mad at him for it because he was Catholic during the era where everyone was supposed to be protestant and the king had him quartered. His followers brought his head back home where you can see it at a church north of Dublin. It was creepy af.

@Holyhellkel We've all done it!

See that, folks? Someone on the internet accepting that they were mistaken and not getting all arsey about it, just like proper adults are supposed to hold conversation... and that is why this website is the best social media site around!

@Jnei absolutely. I'd rather be told I'm wrong and go find the truth. We need to self police so we all learn and better ourselves. I'm just so sick of the snake myth because every year hundreds of people share it and scream how he forgot one because they're pagan and I eye roll so hard it hurts.

@Holyhellkel Me too - and anyone who likes to learn! Unfortunately, it seems a lot of people don't want to!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39228
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.