Agnostic.com

11 0

So all you fellow post readers out there that were religious before 'seeing the atheist light', are you truly atheists or is there some doubt in your mind ingrained by religious doctrine that could sway you back to the fold in times of crisis? In other words if you had an incurable disease would you question your atheism?

We_are_stardust 4 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I got pulled back in, after a breakdown, for about two months. But I could barely think for myself at that time. I attribute it to family because they're all Christians.

Being pulled back again? I should hope not. I know real from mythology. I'm also stronger now and don't feel as alone since bonding with agnostic.com

Good on you for breaking free!! And yes this site is awesome!?

Wjen I 9 or 10 I realized the falicy of organized god belief.

That's young to realize the pitfalls of religion! ?

I have a chronic, incurable disease and the answer is no I am not swayed back to religion. It isn't something that will kill me tomorrow (or it may) but it is one that I will never escape. There's lots of nasty stuff that runs through my family...😟

Sometimes heath issues only strengthen people's atheism. Hope your health concerns are manageable

I spent 30 In Fundamentalism. I'll never go back, and I haven't once questioned my decision. Crisis or no crisis. In 30 years experience, I've never seen any evidence of God acting on behalf of someone in crisis. People find comfort in the thought of God being there for them, and that's ok, but in reality, its all in their head..

Exactly, some people just need to wear rose tinted glasses %100 of the time, and for them I guess that's their coping mechanism for the unknown, me, I'd rather have the facts any day!

NOPE! NOTHING could convince me! (Well, I suppose that a golden path in the sky, leading up to angels, harps and seraphims would be startling! But then, I'd go & check the labels on my vitamins.) 🙂

Lol, yes i would suspect someone had spiked my drink!?

No. Never.

Very emphatical never!?

I do have an incurable (but not fatal, fortunately) disease. It has never influenced my thoughts on religion.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

It's good to have the courage to uphold our atheist convictions even in the face of adversity! ?

Growing up in a mainly non-religious environment I was never influenced by religion (apart from in the media) so Iam just curious as to how people might cope with their potentually conflicting thoughts!

I have and I didn't.

No doubts? Not even a 'who knows'?

@We_are_stardust Nope. Not even a just in case prayer.

@Sticks48 excellent! Nothing like a strong resolve!

Only a fool would say that they would not believe even if god proven he existed.That said, there would be a rather intensive line of questioning for him to explain his seemingly heinous acts. Even if I believed, there is a very real chance I would not worship him, perhaps fully oppose.

@Troy For War Crimes and a very long list of other heinous acts.

No looking back. So far as no-atheists-in-foxholes, I would say there are far more theists who have turned to atheism under far less threat.

godef Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

Honestly I believe 'no atheists in the foxhole ' theory is credible, especially when the person has religious foundations. Personally I was not brought up religious so I would not suddenly switch my personal views in a crisis, but it would be harder for a person with a religious background not to question their atheism!

@We_are_stardust I also think it's credible; I just like to counter with the notion that atheists typically didn't have to deal with life-or-death in deciding to become so.

@godef so you like to play Devil's advocate (yeah I know no devil exists! Lol) as well,

@luckytobealive really it's all relative, to not believe in religion or God is different for everyone, whether you have been religious, never had religion or don't know at all, everyone feels it in their own way. I personally would never judge anyone for their beliefs or opinions because i believe everyone has that choic

@luckytobealive lucky for you to be so judgemental, I never said i approved of their methods or beliefs but I would not want to be persecuted for mine so how does that give me the right to persecute them? Isn't that beng same as them? Curtousy costs nothing, being a nice person is my personal choice and has nothing to do with beliefs!

@luckytobealive Okay, i guess i am very lucky to live in a society and country that for the main part is very accepting of other people's differences and yes personally I have not had to live in such a society that you describe, and hope i never do! It would change my whole outlook if i had. I applaud you for having such strong convictions but i guess I would be a more peaceful protester than a vigillanty one! Great discussion by the way! I love hearing other peoples points of view!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39319
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.