Agnostic.com

26 15

Boiling five pounds of bullshit down to one sentence

"I speak a visual language that has been woven with threads of experience and colored with the seasons of my life." - Susan, artist

I laughed, thinking about writing my ex-husband's artist statement for his art shows. We are friends. Over the years, he has depended on my writing skills to get a new job (resume) and promote his art classes.

Alas, Terry gives me three pages of vague rambling about his "process." King of the run-on sentence. A recent show had portraits painted by Terry. Some of his best work.

"Terry, nobody cares about your artistic process besides you," I said. "Who are you trying to reach? Parents of kids who could take your art classes?" Yes.

So, I asked questions, getting him to describe how he helps kids feel safe taking creative risks. Then I gave him one sentence on his artistic process:

"In creating portraits, I begin with a realistic image of my subject and explore the symbolism, ambiguity and mystery behind the image."

The last two paragraphs listed Terry's education and experience as an artist and art teacher.

Three pages of rambling turned into less than a page.

Have you edited vague rambling?

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am writing a book now. I am at 15k words on a stop to see where things were going-more storyboards.
I then print things out after while in edit format so I have lots of room to scratch and add in then I'm back in to correct and its all fresh again for the new story boards. I can not edit without hard copy and a pencil.I'm going to the beach for week in September to do another long session of writing. I always find that my mind has moved faster than I can type and words are missing in first draft edits.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:393500
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.