Agnostic.com

4 4

Master sharpener struggles with my left-handed sewing shears

Yesterday I took my expensive Gingher sewing shears to be sharpened. The master sharpener took the shears apart to sharpen the blades. He's right-handed.

But he could not realign the blades properly. When I tried them, only half of the shears work towards the tip. Near the grip, the blades mangle fabric instead of cutting.

With a nagging worry ("I hope he doesn't mess these up, too" ) I brought him identical, new Geiger sewing shears that I bought for my daughter Claire.

"So you can compare the angle of the blades," I said. He appreciated it.

I may need to buy new, left-handed Gingher sewing shears ($55.95). Instead of sharpening.

This is what lefties go through on a daily basis. The world is setup for right-handed people.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Left-handedness is an example of something that can foster understanding among us. I am nearly colorblind, and it has helped me "see" that each of us experiences the world differently, and that it's OK.

Good news! He sharpened my shears perfectly, after I gave him Claire's new, identical sewing shears.

"It helped to see the angle I needed," he said. "I had the wrong angle earlier."

WOW that is a bummer ,but with a new comparable if he is an expert then he should have NP redoing it correctly and assembling,,Take a few pieces of fabric with you when you pick them up to try them out on the spot,

@RoyMillar

What does "NP" stand for. National park?

I did try them out in his shop. It's common sense.

Will check if they work properly before paying.

No Problem

I had exactly the same problem with a simple job like sharpening expensive cooks knives ... an 'expert' completely knackered the blades ..I ended up doing them by hand on a whetstone to reshape the blades and remove damage... took me two weks work, on and off

@ToolGuy called away while doing reply and lost where I was

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:396190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.