Agnostic.com

6 4

Beto O'Rourke calls on Americans to vote and fight for gun control

Bravo! He's right.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When the constitution was writteen I beleive all the weapons were black powder for the advocates that really beleive everyone is entitled restricte them to black powder,,killings and vilance and killings will drop considerably Just a thought from an outsider

At college we are covering American Politics and History (1945-1992). So as to get a grounding in Americana we crashed through early American history 1788-1941. Now to get to the point...
The 2nd amendment which gives the right to bear arms is linked closely with a well ordered militia. Thus, gun control is fine and Constitutional as long as the weapons being born are not militia weapons.
To put this into a modern guise, your National Guard or Police weapons may not be infringed upon, but the ordinary citizen should not own and carry assault rifles. If you want an AK74, then join the National Guard or Police.

Actually... You got that all wrong. You should equate the National Guard or Police to the Continental Army. This is not the same thing as the militia. The militia was made up of part time colonists. Yup... That's right, they wanted ordinary citizens to own firearms and to assemble if needed for defense of this country. They knew if we were all armed that, 1. No other country would invade us. and, 2. The government would not dare infringe on our rights too much for fear we would forcibly take back our country.

If Trump the Conman wins another election... I fear you will see #2 happen.

With all this said... We need some common sense gun reform!

@RiverRick Very interesting that us Europeans/British read the US Constitution and Bill or Rights differently to Americans.
Historically, there was a drive to cut cost in the period following the revolution. So a reduction in military expendature was required. Add to this the inclusion of John Lockes principles of government of a Social Contract. Then of course, it was the eighteenth century where practical automatic weapons were unheard of and the idea of what a militia was too. There were no police forces then. The USA has armed police forces using civilians, thus effectively militia. Same for the National Guard. Civilians who can be drawn for service within the State and further afield within the law.
As for defending the rights against tyrany using militias - this failed in 1861-65. I'm sure both sides saw the other as the tyrants.

@Sofabeast I will give you that, while the Founding Fathers seem a little vague now in their definition... For me, at least, I read it as stated. The mass shootings I have heard of have not involved automatic weapons. They have involved semi-automatic weapons. There is a big difference, though some may argue that point. Most who would have not fired either.

I grew up during the Cold War. I used to listen to elder people talk and one of the discussions was sometimes that nobody would ever have the balls to invade us. Heck, registered hunters of any one state usually outnumber the entire army of any potential invading country. Put everyone all together and there is just no way anyone would ever invade us.

Terrorism takes things to a different plane however. Now it's not really an invasion but terrorist attacks. I am not sure if the 2nd Amendment really protects us from that. Even if everyone carried a pistol... Terrorism will always survive.

As stupid as this sounds.. I don't see the solution as not selling guns anymore. There are millions of them out there and you will never get them all. I know that I would not willingly give up mine. I am a target shooter, I reload most of my own ammunition and I do not hunt.. I can still afford to go to the store and buy a steak.

There have been semi-automatic weapons available to the general public in the US for 100 years. The mass shootings really started in the late 50's or early 60's aside from other issues that got out of hand... Such as strikes that turned ugly when the police fired on the strike breakers or mob hits that killed multiple people.

What we have here is a very sick society. We have video games that glorify killing in the most brutal ways. We have kids and other sick people who want to be remembered for something as they have mental issues that seem to prohibit them from working hard enough to be remembered in any other way. We have a mentally challenged president who stokes hatred and social divide. The US is on its way down the tubes. We were, in part, based upon the old Roman Republic. The same thing will happen here as did there... Eventually. I give you Trump playing the part of Nero. I just wish it would end the same way!

@RiverRick Great conversation - keep it coming. I'm studying American history and civil rights 1945-92 and American politics 1788-2020 at the moment, so anything which puts me in touch with how America thinks is excellent.
I'll pick on your last pargraph - there currently is no evidence about video games causing violence, in fact it is to the contrarary. However your comment about sick people who want to be remembered for an act of violence is very on the ball. Modern weapons give the individual a better tool to do so. This can be seen with the number of workplace shootings. This seldom happens in the UK to the point that is effectively does not exist.
Terroism is a problem to which there is no answer. In ancient Roman times, acts of terror were carried out in the middle east by knife gangs, who like modern suicide bombers would keep going until they were killed themselves.
Socail divides, I'll exchange more on that when I have time, but yes the alienation of people is very painful. Read Emile Durkhiem and Max Weber for that. Social pain.
Trump, the socio-psychological-political students gift that just keeps on giving!
Getting back to guns.. lets face it, they are fun! Mine are all black powder muzzel loaders.

@Sofabeast I have many black powder guns. A Hawken .50, a Navy 1850 and several my dad built from kits that resemble colonial era guns. I also have a Springfield 1862 Civil War musket... But I don't fire that one. I even started reloading some of my .45 Colt brass with black powder. I do so love that smell! I have several Colt Single Actions that are fun to shoot.

Video games in and of themselves don't create the monster. The monsters are the parents that park kids in front of the games because they don't spend enough time with them. There is a lack of passing on of social responsibility. Another monster is the social arena of the Internet. But the realistic killing on video games is a far cry from Pac Man and Space Invaders of yesteryear... Or.. wit for it... PONG. The modern ones just can't be a good thing. But I digress...

@RiverRick Digress away. I love the old 'cap an' ball Colt'. We can still own them over here, but almost impossible to get licenced. We have to have a separate certicate for each cylinder! I've got a 1796 land pattern pistol which at least I don't need a cert for as I don't shoot it. It was made in 1802 according to the markings.
With the newest games there hasn't been enough time for studies, and I agree about the parental input. Over here there is also a work/time/day change in culture which may show a correlation with the modern Capitalist Consumerist methodologies in producing societal violence (new text book just arrived in post). In London and some other cities, we are seeing the normalisation of street violence amongst mostly black youths and closley integrated cultures. It appears to be rising from social poverty as well as financial poverty. Break up of the family units, poor income, working massive hours or unsocioable times.

Until Mitch is out, little will be done.

Good for him, but he takes PAC money.

He also wants mandatory buyback for assault weapons. That's a nonstarter for Republicans aka NRA. Hasn't the House already passed a control bill?

Good

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:396643
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.