Agnostic.com

16 4

If a person's profile says "Here For Community", but they include a smiley face afterwards, does that mean they might be open to dating?

• 12 votes
  • 11 votes
CallMeDave 8 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I didn’t add the smiley, it just seems to be there. so i’m gonna go with no, all i ever get is trans fetishized anyway so

They might simply be friendly and offering a smile!

I have no idea what this means for others, but for me I am looking for people who are interesting to me and can hold a conversation without entering into whether or not we will ever meet. I try to be as honest as I can as I expect others to also be. I am married to the love of my life, she has a very rare disease, Erdheim-Chester syndrome and there is no real knowledge of the disease. Though some might think that I am on the prowl, I can assure you that nothing is further from the truth.

Obviously they weren't originally here for dating, but after meeting you they just can't help themselves and have changed thier minds.

You rule, man.

1of5 Level 8 Sep 2, 2019

you coming on to me dude?

@CallMeDave absolutely. I was straight, but meeting you has apparently opened up a whole new life to me.

Hold me, please.

Thanks

They don't put the smiley face, the site does automatically.

If I was looking for dates, I would say so. "Here for community" means that I seek platonic friendship, only.

Zster Level 8 Sep 2, 2019

As a couple of folks have said, we don't put the smiley face there - it appears automatically when you select 'here for community.' I'm sure some of the people that select that option would still be open to dating if the right connection was made.

I think between that label and my bio, I make it very, very clear that I'm not looking for anything other than friendship. That doesn't stop everyone, of course, but it's actually a lot better in this community than in some other online groups I'm a member of. Seems as though reading comprehension is a bit better here 😉

Why not ask that person? A great way to make a connection.

The smily is automatic.

But it probably depends on the situation. I currently here for community and I'm open to dating. I switched for a number of reasons including social anxiety about PMs and not much activity in my area anyway. Plus I was getting messages from wierd spammy thirst trap accounts and it cut back on that.

MsAl Level 8 Sep 2, 2019

It means they want to hear your thoughts only. If you come any closer, you will be karate chopped!

Who knows

When people smile, it generally means they are being friendly or pleased by something. If you interested in someone, see if they want to talk and maybe you will find out more about who they are..

I have had a couple of women tell me they put " here for community" to cut down or eliminate the messages they receive. Makes sense. I suppose if they find someone interesting they will find a way to initiate a conversation. Men don't really run into that problem. 🙂

Why ask us, ask them . . .

I take it to mean that they are not. If somebody whose profile says "Here for community" messages me and indicates an interest, then that's different, but I will not contact them for that reason.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 2, 2019

.It has sounded by some people's post they aren't interested in dating or anyone messaging them, but others that is their main focus, but if the right person comes along it would be great.I think you can adk, if they block you are upset, then you know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:396826
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.