Agnostic.com

3 1

Question: What does it mean to be poly? I thought I knew, but from reading some things here, I think I have it wrong. OR does it mean different things to different people?

phil21 7 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Polyester, which is a fabric we used to wear more than now.

I don't cotton to that joke.

That you want a cracker?

I take 'poly' to mean 'polyamorous relationship.'

To my mind, that means being in an emotionally committed relationship that involves more than one other person. It can be a 'mesh' arrangement (everyone involved with everyone else) a 'hub and spoke' one (one person in relationships with two or more people who aren't in relationships with each other) or a combination of the two.

The distinction between poly and an an open relationship (or just playing the field, if you're single) in that emotional commitment to the other party. If it's there, then you have a poly relationship. If it isn't, then you're swinging (as a couple) or just screwing around (as single.)

But some people (particularly in the BDSM crowd) like to refer to their swinging style activities as 'poly' because they consider swinging beneath them.

NicoCad, thank you for the excellent explanation. My original thinking was along the lines with how you described it. But it seems some people are using it to mean they aren't a committed relationship with anyone in particular, although socially active.

Hi NicoleCadmium...your explanation of polyamory is right on. The chief difference really is in how the individuals in the relationship communicate with each other. I have been in a poly relationship, it worked for all 3 of us, we each brought out own unique talents and skills to the relationship, with no jealousy.

It can work, but it isn't for everyone.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39688
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.