Agnostic.com

13 4

The moon's effect..

With this Friday the 13th coming up and it being a full moon, I've been seeing posts on social media about it.. and I'm sure that'll annoyingly increase when it happens.

Not long ago there was a thread about astrology.. and there was a few people who believed the full moon has an effect on people. Not really shocking cause atheists and agnostics can have all sorts of non-god beliefs. Was a little disturbing as there is no proof its effect is anymore than a psychological correlation.

I don't believe it has any real effect on us. That any effect a person has from it, like making them act crazy, is created through their belief that it does. If they didn't believe it, it wouldn't. Somewhat irritating cause I have a couple people close to me who believe the moon holds sway over them. Can't really tell them otherwise, but I like when it's only close to a full moon and that experience something and say "blah blah blah, must be a full moon". I reply with "the full moon is like 3 days away." Bout the only thing you can say to get their wheels turning.

What do you believe or not believe?

FatherOfNyx 7 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think this may be a case where expectation precedes behavior.

There have been numerous studies on the effects of a full moon on human behavior, and everyone shows that the belief that people are crazier, more violent, more aggressive, etc is nothing more than confirmation bias. In spite of the facts, there are numerous people, many of them law enforcement and emergency medical technicians, who believe the old wives' tales about the full moon influencing human psyches. It's just not based on facts.

I do think however, that things are more likely to get wild on this full moon; more because it's Friday than because the moon is full.

JimG Level 8 Sep 7, 2019

I think the dark of the moon would better lend itself to nefarious activities.

Growing up in a city, where it never got dark, I was rarely aware of the moon phases.. Into the country, for decades in the deep woods, I got it! Things, including humans, can see at night with a moon. It’s that simple.

Thus, they’re out … doing all kinds of stuff they couldn’t or wouldn’t do lacking light. Winter, when the trees are leafless, even better!

Some claim it’s ‘the gravitational pull’ of the moon, though it’s said the effect of it’s gravity is less than the weight of a mosquito landing on your shoulder. Humans appear to crave myth 😉

Varn Level 8 Sep 7, 2019

I have always heard there is an increase in crime and weird violence during a full moon. I had always assumed because it was, duh... Because it was light enough outside to see.

Out here in the woods the full moon is amazing. With no light pollution, once your eyes adjust, it's almost like wearing sunglasses on a sunny day.

I believe the moon’s phases do affect our lives. Whether it’s all cerebral or factual, it happens. The mind and the moon are powerful things.

The moon's power on the tides is a gradual build up of momentum. If you were to somehow stop the moon and let the tides settle, then start the moon back up, you wouldn't see the tides we have today. The rise in sea level would be next time nothing, like a millimeter.. It would take hundreds, maybe even thousands of complete orbits for the moon to build up the momentum in the tides we see today.

My mother’s a retired midwife and has a strong belief that more babies are born at the time of a full moon. The tides are different too; that’s a definite and may have a bearing on the busting out babies 😉 As for 13 I thought it was a Roman thing, they changed planets, months etc to avoid 13; which was specifically unfortunate for men, sorry guys! No sources, just from memory. Something to research if you’re interested 😊

Aside from a full moon being a beautiful sight, especially watching it rising or setting over the horizon, I've never noticed anything especially loony about my own behavior. I do get somewhat wistful for someone to share the beautiful sight with in a romantic way, but then I come to my senses. I guess that's as crazy as I get during the full moon. 🙂

Hey neighbor ! That storm it was a joke . Have u lost power ? Nothing at my area , hope u did ok too .
I remember your comments at this post , in fact I saved it . U do know your astronomy !
No . I work w humans and I work nights . Sorry full moon , no evidence 😂

Yeah, the storm was pretty uneventful for me. I drive for work and the wind pushed my truck here and there, but nothing major. Then corporate called down and ruined my fun cause they didn't want anyone on the road.. Never lost power, but my daughter's daycare did and their neighbor's house caught fire somehow.

The effect of the full moon on people has been investigated and totally disproved. I booked a dental appointment recently for Friday 13 Sept and the receptionist said it was very quiet that day. People love to cling on to those old superstitions. Just look at the number of churchgoers on any Sunday 😉

Go to am emergency room and wait. See what happens I think you will be surprised.

Absolutely nothing worse than any other night of the month . I am a trauma and ER nurse for 22 yrs . Sorry , same gun shots , same strokes , same violence and stupidity any given x .

@Pralina1 My Mother was a nurse and she spoke of things getting much worse during the full moon. Perhaps there is a bias since people are paying attention more during that time and therefore it seems worse when it really is not.

"The legend of the full moon’s effects on human behavior has existed for centuries, popularized by the myth of the werewolf. The words “lunacy” and “lunatic” are derived from the same Latin root that gives us the word “lunar,” as people often attributed intermittent insanity to the phases of the moon. While many people believe the full moon influences behavior, scientific studies have found very little evidence supporting the “Lunar Effect.”

[scienceline.org]

I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows...No I don't. We would be up to our asses in flowers. They would be fucking everywhere!

We wouldn't have to worry about saving the bees.. and then I could stop seeing memes about saving the bees with incorrect information in my social media...

Now if that was changed to "a weed grows" I might believe it 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:398944
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.