Agnostic.com

9 0

The universe!!

Has anyone else noticed that in pictures of our universe galaxies appear to form a neural net similar to maps of our brains. New findings by science show that there is matter existing between gulfs in space between galaxies. My actual question is do you think the universe may be capable of thought??

orion 5 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd rather suspect that since we are all, in a sense, made up of materials created in stars, that perhaps the formations are just naturally occurring, in both cases, according to laws we do not yet understand. This just seems more likely to me.

No. First, it is not arranged like neuronetworks. Each 'node' is a supercluster of galaxies and the so-called filaments are made up of minor galactic groups all bound by gravity. Many of the groupings are independent -- that is, not connected to all the rest. The only 'information' carried from one 'node' to the next is in the form of gravity waves.

No. Another human construct rears its ugly node.

"We are a way for the universe to know itself." Carl Sagan.

Like some humongous spaghetti monster or something? If our solar system is just a small neuron pulsing it's way to wherever, than sure. We could be a small part of a functioning whole and not be aware of it.

'Has anyone else noticed that in pictures of our universe galaxies appear to form a neural net similar to maps of our brains.'

Yeah kind of.

"New findings by science show that there is matter existing between gulfs in space between galaxies."

Sure. so?

"My actual question is do you think the universe may be capable of thought??"

No way because in truth it's nothing at all like a brain except some details look a tiny bit like neurons that's all.

Source:
Paul Level 5 Nov 17, 2017

Yes, the universe is capable of thought. I am a part of the universe, and I am thinking.

Who says it works like a brain? Stars and planets aren't sending each other signals and no way act like neurons. Makes for a good pipe theory though.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Nov 17, 2017

Trees and plants have been proven to communicate. So how do we know what happens in the universe. Besides nothing in my posts suggest that's individual stars and planets communicate. Are individual neurons capable of that together they are capable of producing thought??

Well in any case at best it's just an idea. And like with any claim, such as the existence with god, the burden of proof is on the person who makes the claim. I won't say it's impossible, but I won't be convinced until evidence can be provided.

Even if the universe were conscious, a pattern of visible matter in space wouldn't be evidence of it. A cross section of a carrot looks a bit like an eye, but it doesn't mean the carrot can see.

Fascinating.

Not sure if the universe is capable of thought, but perhaps, 'thoughtfulness'. Thoughtfulness permeates throughout the universe. In the ways it has inter-dependency, for example, or the ways in which it benefits one another (Sun and Moon in relation to Earth).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.