Agnostic.com

10 6

Religion Poisons Everything

Hitchens is right, religion is all too often some sort of "Death Cult". Personally, in my own mind I want to say, "it's just an idea", except it's all to often not, it is actively harmful.

RTraveller 3 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When someone uses any "teaching" to improve their character, wouldn't that be a good thing? But, when any teaching hinders the natural growth of a person's nature, that would be considered harmful. When a person relies on any one resource for all "truth," how will that support that person to his highest nature? When we cannot make decisions without consulting our pastor, or the prevailing sacred scriptures, maybe we relinquished our power and authority over to others? What if 'they' cannot know all the extenuating circumstances, surrounding a specific problem? And, yet the religious, believe a problem must be solved within the context of their particular religion. Maybe the problem could be more easily solved, if a person has availed him/herself of other knowledge and experience along with their religious teachings. But, religious people seemed to limit themselves to the way their religion has always taught and believed! This is the problem for me. Life is ever evolving, that 'good old time religion' is out of date for me! I can't rely on some 'great man being' up in the sky! And I simply don't view life like others, I want the freedom to believe what makes good sense to me! Even as I search for Universal Truths!

Many religions believe they have to convert or kill you. Most religions belive they have to convert everyone to their "truth." I do not wish to make anyone an atheist. I only wish to guide them to think for themselves and realize it is normal and acceptable to doubt that that is presented with out evidence.

I miss Hitch: "Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."
Christopher Hitchens

It's not 'often' a death cult. Any religion that doesn't give you any benefit until after.you die is a death cult. I'm pretty sure that means all christians and muslims.

JimG Level 8 Mar 19, 2018

He's the guy that made me finally renounce christianity four years ago--he sealed the deal after 2 years of skepticism.

Much as I love and agree with his answer, he did not answer the actual question, which was, in essence, "why don't you just shut up if you really don't believe in god". This suggests that staying out of public discourse is the appropriate response, which is obviously wrong.

It DOES in fairness tease at something that's very true: atheists don't hate god, they are indifferent to god. So why not ignore god and godliness?

My rejoinder is, by that logic, if you really believe in god, why don't you just shut up and stay home? Why do you express your lack of faith in god by personally defending him against the pathetic and empty arguments of atheists, which are "foolish" on their face?

No one should be silenced. It doesn't become okay just because the person speaking out is an atheist. And not being silent isn't made okay by someone being a believer.

Believers who ask this question are reflecting how inconvenient and effective our arguments are and how weak theirs are; they are also reflecting the fascistic, controlling nature of religious faith, particularly the fundamentalist kind. The arrogance of asking why we don't just shut the heck up!!

I think you can boil down a lot of irrational thoughts and fears to fear of death. People are scared to due and scared of the unknown. They don't like unanswered questions.

The more that speak out about all the selfish, unfair things that any religion does, the better. You cannot stop, because our nation is so embalmed in this fool's gold. Because of racist-baby Trump, it is getting worse again. The greedy pretend they are godly--and, so, they are: greedy gods. The supremists think they are legal again. Religion and unfairness MUST not demolish our Democracy and our schools. Religion robs our children of education and safe, loving lives. Never stop putting out the message and fighting the illegal taking-over of the freedom our forefathers meant for us. Religion says "stop thinking and be content." Nature forbid.

When Hitchens died, it was a loss to the world.  There is no other like him.  Most unfortunately!
PEGUS Level 5 Mar 20, 2018

Read the new book, Fantasyland, 500 Hundred years of how America got to be like we are. It is amazing - freedom of religion has led us down the garden path of anything goes and is fine. I don't know what is going to happen with this POTUS, but the lies and corruption must be unprecedented in our history. I hope we survive.

PEGUS Level 5 Mar 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39997
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.