Agnostic.com

9 13

THE TRUE HISTORY OF RELIGION... don't know the original source, found it on Facebook posted by Your Great Uncle Gus

RedRiverRogue 5 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is exactly what it was like when we got our 18 seconds of (slanted in our favor) church history presented to us in Bible institute. It was enough to choke a goat.

One of my clearest memories was that a guy who ran an inner-city ministry to drug addicts was invited to speak to the student body at our daily chapel service. He was an impish, mischievous sort, and he opined, while the president of the school visibly squirmed in his seat, that many of us were going to be astounded at the people who were allowed into heaven with us. He delivered a message of inclusiveness and compassion that I had never heard in a fundamentalist setting before. Let's just say he was not invited back; it suggested that a lot of that chart in the cartoon was worthy and enlightened, too. In short, it promoted epistemological humility, at least intra-church humility.

Fundamentalism is predominantly rural and suburban. When it occasionally goes urban, it is quickly confronted with reality. The result is that they either retreat to their safe enclaves or become something not-quite-fundamentalist.

If you look at the depiction it looks much like a "tree" you see in taxonomy. That is the evolutionary tree of life so to speak. As a historian of early Christanities I often say if you want to undedrstand evolution study religion.

That's one of my favorites. 🙂

The funniest part for me is how much the diagram resembles an evolutionary "tree of life"...

Maybe that's where the idea came from.

Very good but very true

Nice. That is a way better representation of my often-used "Look up the ecumenical councils , especially the Council of Nicea" as a challenge to "the Bible is the word of God".

Hero with a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell

I had no idea that was from 1949 until I looked it up just now.

That's exactly right.

JimG Level 8 Mar 19, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.