Agnostic.com

15 7

So...

America's supposedly the "greatest nation in the world".

America may be a great country in some ways, many ways when compared to certain other countries, but it's FAR from the greatest. There are many, TOO MANY areas in which the U.S. utterly fails.

I've mentioned some of them in previous posts I've made.
Today, we're going to look at just one of them.

[newsweek.com]

ElementX74 6 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

America ranks very low, socially, medically and economically. In fact, it's slipping further and further down the rankings. However, many cling to the idea that going back to hatred and denials of reality will make it all go away. I think the last survey I read was put out by the British medical association's journal, Lancet which listed the US at #48 in a list of 100 developed nations.

I am in complete agreement with both you and the artiocle.

One thing that lessons are country is the way many conservatives view our flag. Oh, they put their hand over their heart when they sing the anthem. They stand in awe with a big erection when old glory passes in a parade. They swoon about how we are so great because of our freedoms. But then when someone dares to excercise one of those freedoms (of speach) by taking a knee during the athem. or GOD FORBID !!!, burn a flag (all protected by our constitutional freedoms)....then they squeal all kinds of shit and say that person needs to leave the country, or be fired, or whatever. That attitude is an affront to what the flag is supposed to stand for. And it diverts our attention away from recognizing and fixing problems, and toward the idea that "You'd better respect that flag, son, or else ! I love to be in a group of people that are going on about "never ever disrespect our flag". I will interject that if they ever pass a law that makes flag burning a crime, I will buy a flag, set it on fire, and throw it on the ground for all to see. lol You should see their panties bunch up when they hear that. I better wrap this up...I am starting to throw breakable objects at my wall.

Get money out of politics. Prohibit politicians from getting cushy corporate jobs when they leave office.

Sorry to call you out, Element, I understand your frustration, we all are living it. But your attitude is like we're dead in the water. This is home and there isn't a more beautiful document on the planet than our Constitution. It's dynamic and just because we've all let it go to waste with our apathy, doesn't mean it's over. We can blame it on Trump or we can take responsibility for our own inaction and see it as a work in progress and get involved. Be the change you want to see in this country. The only way this country will really develop is if voters are involved and engaged. How fortunate we all are to have this opportunity! Let's not blow it.

I'm inspired by the millenials. They are behaving in a way that gives me hope. Call out our faults, that's the way to resolve problems but don't just leave it at that. That is what our impotent Republican leadership is guilty of. Take it a step further. Offer solutions. We need more than rhetoric. 🙂

@ElementX74 I agree with you. When I was a kid in school the current platitude was: "America may not be perfect, but we have the highest standard of living in the world." That is no longer true. We have the highest standard of living in the world for our rich. The "greatest country in the world" title, vacillates between Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.

History demonstrates that all countries that have grown to be world powers have flourished and then faded away...we are in the process of diminishing now.

The robber barons have gotten a grip on our system and this time, they are not going to let it go.

crazycurlz thinks that things can get better, but that is likely wishful thinking. Money trumps everything else in politics...our democracy is/has failed as did every other democracy in Western history.

@ElementX74 right at this moment YES the republicans are the problem. But the one thing that's happening (like a revolution) is that people are energized: marching, demanding more, getting out and voting, TALKING to each other and expressing discontent and MORE. People are saying what they want...what other countries have. Call it out but have solutions, too. Revolution is whatever...people revolt when they need their freedoms and want a different kind of government. I think our GOVERNMENT is f'g cool it's the LEADERSHIP that has to go and the only way the leadership gets the boot is if we all go out and vote and get involved. My opinion and thanks for the kind response, Element 🙂

@ElementX74 you may be right. As a species we might be too stupid to get out of this cycle of avarice and apathy to revolt. It's the old saying of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Makes me feel sorry for all of us.

During our peak, from the 1940's through the 1970's, we actually were the greatest nation in the world. The greatest Representative Republic operated under Democratic ideals since the Roman Empire. Now we're just a piece of shit Oligarchy ruled over by Plutocrats and Theocrats.

You have it right.

I know what you're trying to say, and greatness comes in many forms, but minorities, women, and LGBT people might not think we were that great from the 40's through the 70's.

Great... advertising slogan, much like MAGA... embarassing.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 20, 2018

Ranked last in health care in the study. Also, "The U.S. is the only high-income nation to lack universal health care." #MAGA

Watch the first 3 minutes of the first episode of “The Newsroom”
BOOM Mic Drop

That's exactly what I thought of.

@LauraUU ... that about covers it. So well stated... best thing he’s ever done.

I watched the series when it originally aired, I thought this scene was brilliant writing. It took a lot of chutzpah for them to put this scene in.

Whenever I hear the ridiculous, dangerously patriotic, mindless "USA!" chant, I cringe.

It's another case of our broken government needing to be repaired by the people who broke it, and they have zero interest in doing so.

The insurance industry in this country is yet another lucrative source of income for our filthy politicians. They're never going to shut that down if they can help it.

They have the best healthcare available but refuse to provide it to all of us.
They don't even pretend to care that we know they don't give two shits about us anymore.

You hit the nail in each sentence... me too, me three, me 4... dislike nationalism !

And congresses insurance has just gotten better this year. It was great before, now it’s even better.
How do I know this? My husband works for DOD and we get the same insurance they get.
My prescriptions went from $25-$60 for a 3 month supply to $0-$5 for many of them. I really wish I could give it to everyone.

@LauraUU I wish they would. It wouldn't be very hard to do. Not as hard as giving us this incredibly awful new tax code.

Exactly

Yes indeed they are especially with this fucking idiot trump at the helm.

Healthcare companies for profit (insurance companies , hospitals, etc.) is sickening.

Goes back to the money . We aren't given access to cures , because there's more profit in keeping us sick . Insurance companies lost money because we weren't getting cured , just strung along , so rates went up and services became more limited . Companies investing money in developing new drugs , are then told to spend more money in doing tests to prove they're safe to use , cover up problem areas they don't want to acknowledge , because they want the profit , even if the drugs aren't safe . Can't trust the doctors because the drug companies funnel money into their educational expenses , pay them kick backs , and send representatives to fill them in on the latest company drug offerings .

Every country has good and bad qualities. The US has amazing natural wonders. I really enjoy our parks.

Yup... ... ???

Enjoy them while you can.

Sarcastic? If so, you said it all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.