Agnostic.com

17 3

So what are you reading? Any hidden gems out there I'm missing?

I have a massive library of over 1,000 books. I love all things history. Archeological, military, biographies, etc. I do like sci fi and mystery as well. I've started reading the Game of Thrones series. Have to do something to make it till freaking 2019!

I love historical fiction. Ken Follett is a great example of that. He's probably my favorite fiction author. I've read almost everything he's written. Awesome.

I'm currently reading "The Last Lion", a massive 3 volume biography on Winston Churchill. It's considered the penultimate biography of his life and it has not disappointed. A rare biography that feels more like a great work of fiction. A page turner.

So what are your thoughts? Anything you'd recommend?

ReverendJohnDoe 5 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A 1,000 books?! So envious 😉

Most interesting Sci Fi series I've read that are fairly new are "The Wess'har Wars." Fun, but rather unrealistic, and the author is a militant Vegan (is there any other kind, LOL?).

Also, set in the near future, "Acid Sky," "Below Mercury," and "Torino Nine." Very realistic technology, did his research.

Also currently struggling through "GEB: An Eternal Golden Braid," it's a bit mathematical for me.

I assume you have read "The Killer Angels."

Nuke Level 5 Mar 20, 2018

Right now I'm reading "Worn Stories" by Emily Spivak. It's about our connection with a favorite piece of clothing, and why we keep it. There are many contributors to her book, each telling a story about their item. Light reading, but interesting.

Today I will be finishing "shades of death" by aline Templeton.

I don't think you will be disappointed in the read of >>Lord of Light<< Great SiFi [en.wikipedia.org]
Check it out.
You can read it for free on [openlibrary.org]

Author Roger Zelazny
Cover artist Howard Bernstein
Country United States
Language English
Genre Science fantasy
Published 1967 Doubleday
Media type Print (hardback & paperback)
Pages 257 pp
OCLC 6446183
Lord of Light (1967) is a science fantasy novel by American author Roger Zelazny. It was awarded the 1968 Hugo Award for Best Novel,[1] and nominated for a Nebula Award in the same category

WOKE, A field guid for Utipia Preppers by Caitlin Johnstone. It is in maor book stores. She says, "This book is for the ones who look with both eyes," not right-eyed nor left-eyed lookers. Enjoy.

Julian May's Saga of the Pliocene exile is outstanding. It's on my reread list. My oldest son has read it several times as well.

Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction is the best I've read so far in that genre. The Lord's of the North series...An Archer's Tale...he immerses you in the period with meticulous research and a clever weaving of historical fact with "artistic license". Plus...the way he decribes the pagans scratching their heads over the Christians ridiculous and hypocritical philosophies is highly amusing.

@ReverendJohnDoe
Yes. They made a mini-series out if it too. The conniving! Epic...

@ReverendJohnDoe
Oh...and here's the link to one of Cornwell's stories...I love Utred.
The Last Kingdom [g.co]

@ReverendJohnDoe lol...Yayyy! You won't be sorry!

If you want a good military book, read Secret Commandos. It’s about Army Special Forces conducting missions during Vietnam, told by an operator.

Marz Level 7 Mar 20, 2018

For most folks, I would suggest "A History of the World in 6 Glasses" by Tom Standage. I read it a while back.

I started "The Ill Made Mute" 2 nights ago, so far not impressed.

I have read some duds. Sometimes I force myself to finish, sometimes not. "We Can Build You" by Philip K. Dick was my last disappointment.

@ReverendJohnDoe But sometimes finishing is torture and a waste of time....kinda like religion.

Currently reading.....

"First Peoples in a New World: Colonizing Ice Age America" by David J. Meltzer

"Vanguard: Ark Royal - book 7" by Christopher G. Nutall (The Ark Royal series is English Sci-Fi, or as I call it; "Brits in Space".)

"Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America" by Nancy MacLean

"Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty" by Abhijit V. Banerjee and Esther Duflo

You should read "City of Thieves." It's one of my favorites and I do not think it is well known.

Nuke Level 5 Mar 20, 2018

Russian Roulette: The Inside Story of Putin's War on America and the Election of Donald Trump
by Michael Isikoff and David Corn.
Interesting Book.

gearl Level 8 Mar 20, 2018

This is a partial list of my favorites

1.Misha Burnett "Catskinner" novel series (fantasy, sci-fi, horror)

2.Adolfo Kaminsky: A Forger's Life, by Sarah Kaminsky. (autobiography)

3.Till We Have Faces, by C.S. Lewis, (fiction)

4.Harpo Speaks! by Harpo Marx (autobiography)

5.The Persian Boy, by Mary Renault (historical fiction)

6.The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses, by Jeannette Walls (autobiography, semi-fictional biography)

7.Old Man's War series, by John Scazi..or ANY John Scalzi book (sci-fi)

8.Stranger in a Strange Land, Doorway into Summer, or most Robert A. Heinlein books (sci-fi)

9.The Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling (she's VERY C.S. Lewis!)

10.Seabiscuit: An American Legend, by Laura Hillenbrand (historical biography)

11.and the funniest one of all!- Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod, by Gary Paulson (autobiographical)

Loved the Old Man series! I want a BrainPal (a registered trademark), to be a super fit younger....and greener me.

I have read almost everything by Scalzi.

@Reignmond Me, too! Not to put yourself in danger of choking on your food, but have you read Scalzi's book Android's Dream? Just the outrageous opening chapter makes the book worth the trouble.

I'm reading the Alienist again, by Caleb Carr..been watching the TV adaptation of it..and damn it pisses me off..lol

@ReverendJohnDoe the books are really good..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40068
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.