Agnostic.com

6 9

LINK How Hearing Loss Worsens Loneliness Among The Elderly : Shots - Health News : NPR

This is timely for me as I discovered this summer that I have a moderate hearing loss and now wear hearing aids. It was discovered by my new job, I was unable to hear people (especially men) on the phone and answer the questions they had asked. I work as customer service for the billing department of a hospital and my line is recorded. Now I wonder if (nope, I'm sure it did) my hearing loss affected my last job. Because hearing loss is so gradual and subtle it can be very frustrating and hard to accept. If you are thinking you may have hearing loss get tested (free at Costco.) If you wear hearing aids we have a group here on Ag.com that you can join [agnostic.com]. I can say that hearing aids are a pain in the a$$, just a bit of annoyance in the ears. However they have some useful features as well besides hearing better. I no longer need to use earbuds, and I hear my GPS and other phone apps in my ears. I can even talk on my cell phone without pulling out my phone. Technology is so amazing.

HippieChick58 9 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Both of my grandmothers had pretty severe hearing loss before they agreed to get hearing aids, but it drove us crazy they way they'd hijack an ongoing conversation with something totally unrelated. This was back in the day when it was a $6-7K investment so I can understand their resistance. But it surprised me that my mother then fought it for so long as well - until I made her realize I was already treating her as deaf, having to touch her so she'd realize I was talking to her (although she spent a while saying it was something wrong with only my voice). So I suspect it's coming for me any day now ... I dread it, but at least it's less expensive now to correct it. And I like to think they're getting better with hearing music and handling background noise.

I know several musicians with hearing aids, they tell me they are much better than they used to be.

@HippieChick58 Thank you, that's good to know! I confess I've worried about that for years, and may have even mourned the loss of my music a wee bit more than mourning the loss of people in groups. 🙂

I have long observed the worst effect of hearing loss as you age is, as your replies become less relevant (because you did not hear the question/comment properly) that people immediately assume you have dementia!
You can get hearing aids from Costco for over $2300.00 less than from all the name-brand sellers, with the same warranty, and they give the best hearing tests of all i had. Their auditory shop techs do Not work on commission, either, so you can trust their suggestions!
Note: Most military retirees can get hearing aids free through the service. Many employers will, with documentation, provide them to you as well.
Do It!

My hearing aids at Costco were less than $1600. I work for a hospital, but they wouldn't even test my hearing. But then again it is a hospital for children. My health insurance does not cover hearing aids, unless it is a cochlear implant.

@HippieChick58 mine either, I got estimates of $4500 & $4700 from 2 hearing aid companies running "centers"....my Costco ones, including tax, were $1899 and included a dryer, and a nifty remote control (that the other places either did not offer or wanted $258 for) that allows me to adjust for conditions. For example, in a noisy restaurant it shuts oft fhe back & side mic's, reducing the background clamor considerably. Had them almost 5 years now. Excellent quality & value!
Be aware that not all Costco's have Auditory Centers.

@AnneWimsey I too got the dryer, and app. I love being able to make the adjustments when needed. I did some research before I went to Costco, and I've got some smart friends with hearing aids that gave me lots of info. I am in a large enough metro area that I had the choice of 3 Costco's with HA centers. The one I went to was not closest, but the one I could get into soonest is on the far side of town. But I wanted it now and my job kinda pushed it. I would rather not need them, but such is life. I will enjoy all the things I can do with them.

I have pretty severe hearing loss and can attest to what the article says especially the cost and aides are a significant investment. My chief problem is with groups where sound is a jumble and where I can understand no one. One to one is OK. I turn down a lot of invitations because I know it will be an embarrassment such as when I recently turned down an opportunity to speak at a high school about photography as I knew I wouldn't be able to hear students properly. I do miss out on a lot because of it and it does bring loneliness.

gearl Level 8 Sep 13, 2019

I have almost moderate hearing loss due my chemo treatments(Cisplatin). I have an appointment with my audiologist at the end of the month.I think it's time to talk about a hearing aid..thanks for this.

Cool 😎

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 13, 2019

Good to live in this age with technology.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:401834
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.