Agnostic.com

7 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Excellent point not everyone is thin,I used to be, it's a major problem with no easy solutions

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 15, 2019

On an airplane, I hate sitting next to an obese person. Their fat flows over and under the armrest, taking up half of my seat. I am twisted sideways and it hurts.

I resent spending hours twisted in pain because I can't sit comfortably in the seat for which I paid.

Obese people should pay for two seats.

How do you think that obese person feels getting on that plane knowing every single person is looking at them thinking please don't be next to me? Or people who don't actually think it but say it out loud? The problem is the airlines cramming people in like sardines. Hell I barely fit in those seats. I really recommend this article, and she has a lot more fantastic articles about what it's like to live in our society as a fat person, but this one specifically deals about flying.
[humanparts.medium.com]

@Remi

Then drive instead.

They should pay for two airline seats.

@LiterateHiker
or... The airline's can stop cramming us in there like sardines. You expect a fat person to drive home from Oregon to Pennsylvania to see their sick parents when they only have so much vacation time from work? Really? you are putting the blame on the fat person, when you should be putting it on the airlines. They are offering a product that does not conform to the needs of society. They need to change. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to have plenty of room in your own seat, you should. But so should fat people. They exist and they are just as human as everyone else. Did you even read the article I posted? and I know it's hard to gauge tone on the internet, but I'm not trying to attack you. I think you just don't understand it from the perspective of a fat person. You've probably never been fat so how could you? That's not your fault. maybe try to get to know some overweight people and see what their life is like. Don't be do quick to judge and assume. Or read more of the articles from the author I linked above. in many of her articles she talks about some of the unbelievably cruel and ridiculous ways people treat her solely because of her weight. I just don't understand how someone thinks it's okay to treat people like that.

@Remi

No, I have never been overweight. Obese people should buy two seats.

I resent it when obese people take over half of my airline seat. I paid for that seat! They sweated heavily onto me, too. Ugh.

How would you like to sit painfully twisted on one hip, trapped?

@LiterateHiker I wouldn't. Which is why the airlines need to change! Do you think they shouldn't?

This is excellent. Corden is absolutely right: fat-shaming doesn't help anyone lose weight. Sharing!

I had a very overweight boss. Everytime I saw her at the grocery her cart was full of diet drinks. The last few times I saw her she had dropped thirty pounds and there were no drinks in her cart.

Both men made good points. The real culprits are the food industry and the paid for research that has lead to the over processed food and sugar leaden diet Americans and the world are being forced to consume.
Americans especially since many households are forced to work 2 or more jobs with both parents working so just when are they going to find the time to cook meals from scratch? Cookies, cakes and all form of sweets use to be a treat now they are a meal for some.
I wish we would go after the food industry the way we went after the tobacco industry.
I have seen how people addicted to sugar behave - exactly like a person addicted to booze or drugs. All the while complaining they cannot loose weight. Of the 3 people I currently know who eat WAY too much sweet stuff only one has changed her diet, more protein, vegetables, no processed food and no sugar. She has lost 30 pounds over the past 3 months and no longer craves sugar.

@Ms_McSteven That is the food industry, I don't think real cane sugar is as big a problem as HFC and asparteme. Cane sugar is just as addicting but back in the 60's we did not have the variety of processed food we have today.

@Ms_McSteven that's why we had sooo much energy..we were all bouncing on sugar highs..

@Ms_McSteven and in the summertime barefoot!!

Bill Maher is a holier than thou CenterLib..that was a brilliant teardown..he's a dick worthy of it!

@slydr68 totes agree!

Both James Corden and Bill Maher made good points. Corden is correct about fat-shaming.

Bill Maher is also correct. In a country where obesity plagues millions, some people are celebrating this health hazard as a new trend.

This is for you and @StarvingArtist, I don't think it's necessarily celebrating fat or making fat a cool trend. It's more realizing that people are fat and we're not instantly going to get skinny anytime soon so please make the world a little less harsh on us. Think about how things are built, how much space people need, the fact that not all fat women want to wear Grandma clothes, the list goes on. my new roommate is quite overweight, and until we started hanging out and going places I never really thought about how some people can't fit into restaurant booths or walk as far as others, it's really opened my eyes. Yes she could change her diet and exercise more, but there's so much wrapped up in weight; the way your body naturally works, depression, how you were raised, so much goes into it. There is no easy answer. but we could start by being a little more understanding and accepting a fat people. It doesn't mean being fat is a good thing, it just means that some of us are and we could use a little help navigating daily life. there will always be fat people. The point is you don't know where people are on their journeys. They could have already lost a hundred pounds, or they could be just starting. They could not even know where to start. We need to let them worry about them and be a little more accommodating in the meantime.

@StarvingArtist I agree with you up until your last sentence. There are still going to be fat people. There just is. So why not accommodate them? It's not like they're not trying. Because I can guarantee you almost every single one of them is trying. but it's not easy. And it's not going to work for all of them. There's no magic switch to flip that will make fat people suddenly thin and this problem go away. There's absolutely no reason why we can't be a little more accommodating while we also take down the BS in the food industry. I can't describe what it feels like to see your friend regularly humiliated because she can't fit into a booth at a restaurant or find clothes that fit her. To say nothing of what she must feel like. Our society is so ingrained to view fat people as lazy, that it's their own fault, and they should just stop being fat. It's such BS. All I'm asking is for people to have a little more humanity and see them as more than fat. See them as the people that they are. They're not worthless because of their weight.

I've broken several addictions, and food is unique. You don't need a little tobacco, or a little alcohol, or a little nose candy to live - but you can't just walk away from food completely.

When I was young I put NO thought into eating or exercise. Consequently I gained NO positive habits regarding eating or exercise. When it comes to dealing with one's weight in adulthood, the dieting and the exercise are only one dimension of the situation. There's a very fundamental and personal hurdle to overcome also. I'm still trying to overcome that hurdle.

@BitFlipper

Sad. My mother was considered a health nut and an exercise fanatic. Mom was a great role model. She won 10K races in her 50s in Detroit repeatedly. In addition to running, Mom hiked, cross-country and downhill skied, snowshoed and swam.

I grew up on a lake in Michigan with three sailboats. I rowed two miles to the end of the lake, while Mom swam the front crawl. Then we switched places.

Mom raised on no soda pop, and healthy, fresh, low fat food. Nothing deep fried. Meat and fish were either roasted, baked or broiled. We drank nonfat milk.

I took Mom's healthy habits to a new level. Raised my daughter Claire the same way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:402009
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.