Agnostic.com

5 12

How grocery stores became a cultural flash point in the gun debate

Five years ago, I wrote letters to Kroger headquarters, asking them to ban open-carry of guns in their stores.

"I immediately abandon my cart and leave the store when someone walks in with a gun," I wrote. "It's terrifying. Your customers and employees are not safe when you allow people to carry guns in your stores." The store manager said he and employees agreed.

Last week, Kroger, the country’s largest supermarket chain, announced that it would ask customers to stop openly carrying guns in its stores. Its announcement came on the heels of a similar decision by Walmart after a deadly mass shooting at one of its stores in El Paso on Aug. 3.

The two major store chains opened a floodgate, and in the days since, Walgreens, CVS, Wegmans, Aldi, Meijer and Publix and others have said they will ask customers not to openly carry guns. The change signals a seismic shift in corporate willingness to engage in the gun debate.

While this pivot comes after a spate of mass shootings, the foundation was laid by activists across the country who’ve spent years applying pressure to stores.

Behind the scenes, an army of women has been boycotting shops and signing petitions. The message was loud and clear: They want safety while shopping with their families.

“Five years ago, none of these companies were willing to move on this issue,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action. “It has been the unglamorous heavy lifting of women who have said to them that they won’t shop at their stores until they change their policy.”

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On the other side, we had a concealed carry guy save an employee at a local Walmart that was being attacked with a machete.

Yeah but this is open carry. I can see the concern about an openly displayed gun inciting violence in others, or making it harder to identify "bad guys", or causing cinfusionif a police rsxponse were ever needed. Plus ir probably lowers the stores insurance rates

There have now been enough mass shooting in retail spaces to provide documentable evidence of serious large costs to the business. Add that theres zero evidence the govt is going to help control the problem.

So a financial choice was made, to attempt to reduce the potential losses. The petitioners and activists finally got their wish, but only because it made financial sense, and the bean counters got on board.

Happy to heat at least something is happenning,,keep the pressure up

The statement seems to me as throwing crumbs at us. They say banning openly carrying guns. Not that they can't bring them in the store.

They were afraid of offending people in open carry states, crazy state to begin with, this is not the old wild west. There is no good reason to open carry anywhere but war zones

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 14, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:402066
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.