Agnostic.com

4 0

If a mentally ill person committed a crime when they're not in their right mind, should they be punished.

I have a loved one who has schitsophrenia. He's on medicine to calm his mind and body. He's done a few things that were harmful to him and us. Should he be responsible if he's not in his right mind?

Biblebeltskeptic 6 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They should be put in a mental health facility and prescribed anti psychotic medication .I worked in a New York State mental health facility for 28 years .When patients are on the medication they are fine .The problem with violent Schizophrenics is that when they are released many of them fail to take their medication.I knew one guy that was released returned home, but did not take the prescribed medication and gouged his mother’s eyes out .

Legal adjudication required here. Mens rea or actus reus. Unintentional action or premeditation.

I’d say treatment at a societal level (single-payer healthcare) should be available, though it’s likely not. If he commits a crime, it’s severity should be taken into consideration, with treatment & monitoring increased, and incarceration considered.

Varn Level 8 Sep 15, 2019

Depending on the state you live in, if he is incapable or knowing the difference between right and wrong, OR is unable to conform his actions to the law...then he will not be punished. However, if he is a danger to himself or others he may have to be committed

lerlo Level 8 Sep 15, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:402284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.