Agnostic.com

2 0

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It will never happen. Though they should have an extreme close look at fraud and abuse of all social programs. Buying ice cream, candy and soda with food stamps should not be allowed to happen.

@ToolGuy No... It's called "TAX PAYER GIVEN" rights. I agree with food stamps. I believe in a helping hand to those who need it. But to some it has become a way of life! Food stamps are for staple items to survive... Not to snack and get fat!

@ToolGuy Not ALL of them... But for food stamps they do. I pay, you pay, we all pay for food stamps out of our taxes. Now... Social Security is another story. We each fund our own.

Where do you think the money for food stamps comes from?

@ToolGuy Food stamps are a federal program. They are paid for by us tax dollars. Not a belief... It is a FACT!

Just noticed that you live in Canada. I have no idea where they are paid for there.... But in the USA... Taxpayers foot the bill!

@ToolGuy From 9/26/18

"This week marks the 41st anniversary of the 1977 Food Stamp Act, which laid the foundation for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the largest federal program aimed at combating hunger and food insecurity among low-income Americans. Below is a look at how SNAP works, who benefits from it, and its place in the federal budget.

In Fiscal Year 2016, the most recent year for which a complete set of data is available, SNAP:

• Assisted approximately 44 million beneficiaries.
  • Cost $71 billion, or 2 percent of the federal budget.
  • Averaged $124 per month (or $31 per week) per person in benefits."

$71B comes from the taxes Americans pay in taxes for Food Stamps. You can try to frame it any way you want... But in the USA... My taxes, in part, go toward food stamps.

2% of the Federal Budget is hardly trivial!

@ToolGuy 1. I don't have 50 minutes in my day to watch your video.
2. You should read my original post again. I NEVER said the programs were wrong. I believe in the programs. I said there was fraud and abuse. And... THERE IS! I have seen it with my own eyes. So yes, there IS fraud and abuse and yes, food stamps ARE funded by US tax payer dollars.

I do not know what the posted amount of fraud and abuse are... My point was that it is going on and, in some cases, seems to be going on unchecked!

@ToolGuy It's a FACT... Not a belief. I have seen it with my own eyes. I have known able-bodied people who rip off the system and collect Social Security Disability when they are more than able to get a job. I have known people who get food stamps because it is easier than working. I have a sister that has done BOTH of these things. There is way more abuse than you can imagine. I have PERSONAL knowledge of this. Do you REALLY think I am going to watch some video on YouTube and change my mind? That is how Trump got elected... That is how the Flat-Earthers propagate! Do you think the Earth is flat too?

Sorry... But I have more than most. I have never been one to say or think someone else got something I didn't. I'm a little better off than needing food stamps. Perhaps you should choose another battle... You are losing here.

@ToolGuy You go with your "Internet Research" and I will go with what I have seen on the job for the last 32 years! I know that a lot of fraud and abuse exists, as I have seen it, though I do not know the percentage... Nobody does... And certainly not you.

I hear that Charles misses his brother and wants to go visit him soon. The irony of those wanting to kill Medicare and Food Stamps is beyond belief. What do you do with grandma in the nursing home? If you take care of her yourself it's a full time job and you are not making enough money to make ends meet. Then we have those pesky Food Stamps. Who knew that our real problem was that family in front of you in the grocery line? People like Charles set around and dream of ways to have more of your money but these bad ideas are not very valid.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:402748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.