Agnostic.com

26 5

How much social interaction does one need?

My social interactions are sparse apart from every day routines like shopping. I don't have a constant group of friends that I go out and do stuff with, more like a few disparate groups who hang out a lot together, but invite me out randomly every other month. I used to take every opportunity to go out and try to create as many events as possible, even if I didn't feel like it, because I'd heard of scientific studies talking about people losing their shit when they don't have enough social interaction, but I kind of feel like I'm losing my shit constantly working to bring my social life together only to have it continuously fall through and remain inconsistent.

I've thought a lot of things would hurt me/make me crazy only to find I was just fine without it, in fact better than I've ever been, so now I'm considering not trying to create something that really isn't there and spend more time focusing on myself and my work for a while. I won't brush off every social engagement, but I'll just go to the ones I know I'm going to be a certain level of comfortable at, but this could mean that I don't go out with friends for months at a time. What do you think? Good idea? Bad? Other suggestions?

Honestape 6 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I could use social interaction once a week. I'd like more, but my schedule is too busy at the moment for me to be able to do so. At times I'm an introvert and others an extrovert. So it's hard to say there's a set number or amount. We're all too different for that to be the case. But once a week is probably not a bad idea. Time for yourself and away from home is always a good idea. It builds on self awareness as well.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40315
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.