Agnostic.com

5 13

Hardy Survivors of August Heat Wave

On my south-facing deck, I plant flowerpots each Spring. They bloom cheerfully from April to July. But in pots, flowers suffer above 85 degrees in hot sun. Without stretching a shade over them, they would boil in their pots.

In July, I cut the plants back to branch out. Some dried up and died. As temperatures cooled, I gradually removed the shade. In late August, began weekly fertilizing with half-strength Miracle Grow.

Protected from frost on the deck, they bloom through December. Love the cheery colors!

It pains me to throw out flowering plants to make way for winter holiday decorations.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Surfinia petunia? ... do well for 3 months here, but the frosty cold shrivels them in a couple of days ... ... but cheap enough to get new plants next year

@ShadowAmicus

The purple flowers are Calibrachoa Million Bells.

[gardeningknowhow.com]

@LiterateHiker rarely see million bells over here ... they have a smaller flower, but more profuse, than the petunia but very similar . Do you have to dead head to maintain flowering? I find the dead heading a pain ... and have too many planters to get around

@ShadowAmicus

Yes, you have to remove spent flowers for the plants to continue flowering. Deadheading is a meditative activity for me.

@LiterateHiker Around the kennels we have 14 hanging baskets and 12 3 foot long troughs ... makes for too much dead heading ... particularly with a largish rose garden to do too

How beautiful are these plants? 🙂

@patchoullijulie

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

They are very beautiful. I am same way. Do not want to dispose of them after bringing me so much joy and beauty

@RoyMillar

Nicely put.

It kills me to pull out flowering plants that give me joy and beauty.

You have had a heat wave and we had a cooler, wetter summer. On our last gleaning activity the fruit trees were bursting with fruit. One crab apple (small apples) was so full 2 5' diameter branches were broken to the ground. Unfortunately, the bees didn't like the weather and stayed home. Last year I got 2 quarts of local honey and this year all the beekeeper could spare was 1 pint.

Beautiful colors!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403364
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.