Agnostic.com

8 23

"Pimping out my life story."

This evening with other volunteer college mentors, I attended a Migrant 101 workshop at the high school. "You helped me better understand migrant student's lives and increased my empathy and compassion," I told the instructor.

We had a fascinating discussion. Some of the volunteer college mentors were new.

"Do some students feel they are pimping out their life story on college applications? In a New York Times article, a young man wrote exactly that."

"Last year, the girl I mentored didn't want to call her mother 'mentally ill' in her essay," I said. "I gave her that. She didn't want to label her mother so I honored her request."

"Do their parents see me as a white savior?" one woman asked. "I worry about that."

"Their parents see your good heart and kindness," I replied. "All of you. Students go home and talk about you, how you are helping them. Parents grow fond of you through their kid."

"One mother made me beautiful, hand-embroidered pillowcases. Another mother stitched my likeness on a quilt for her daughter to take to college!"

I collapsed forward on the table, burying my face in my arms and groaned. They laughed.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow what you are doing is a great contribution to the social fabric of our country. It can be very hard to earn trust in that situation. Your determination and talent are now a part of each person you help and you will be there with them where ever they go.
Congratulations and keep up the the good fight.
Best Regards,
J

You amaze me more and more as you let your inner thoughts and projects out to the rest of us,,You are very inspirational in a very sweet way,with no forethought of being that way,,Love to meet a very lovely super nice human being,,Sending you warm hugs for just being you the way you are 🙂

@RoyMillar

Aww...gee, shucks. Thank you for your kind words. We all need positive strokes.

Most of the time I think I'm ridiculous with my high energy and enthusiasm. "Put a cork in it, Miller," I think. "Slow down."

Personal goals: listen better, pause to let people gather their thoughts before replying, and be more kind.

As a Millar to a Miller that is an excellent personal goal that we all can take hied of and inspire to do

These stories and more show how everyone has a good heart. Only psychopaths lack goodness but even those if we somehow manage to fix them in early childhood they can be good-hearted people in the end. That's I refuse to lose faith in humanity and the kindness everyone can show.

Neenz Level 7 Sep 18, 2019

When you pimp something are you selling it? I've always imagined the word as referring to a man who takes money from street women for protection. I'm also aware of wanting my ex-wife to cut my hair and she asked "how much are you going to pay me?"

@DenoPenno

To win scholarships, students need to touch the hearts of scholarship committees with their essays.

@LiterateHiker I agree.

world could use a lot more like you

Genuinely, you are really a great person.

It's strange how much inner reward you receive from giving yourself to help others. It's a lovely feeling.

@Petter

You're right. Being a college mentor is the most rewarding volunteer work I have done.

Good for you honey

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 18, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403619
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.