Agnostic.com

7 2

ARE THE 12 STEP PROGRAMS KILLING PEOPLE BY ENCOURAGING BELIEF IN A "HIGHER POWER"?

The 12 Step Program has self-help groups like Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous, Gamblers Anonymous, & others

Most groups in this program encourage belief in a "higher power", which they often identify as "god".

People come to these groups for help with problems that can kill them, such as drinking & drugging, frequently both. Many newcomers are turned off by the religiosity of the program. They often go out & die.

Bill Wilson, the founder of A.A., appeared to be an agnostic.

Should The 12 Step Program return to its agnostic roots & discourage religiosity?

Remiforce 7 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The founder "appeared " to be agnostic? What's that mean? He either is or isn't... I don't understand... As for the religious aspect of the program, I've always understand that the term , "higher power " was added to the AA program specifically for non believers...

Bill Wilson started the chapter for agnostics in the Big Book with "We agnostics..", which seems to indicate he considered himself one. He was quite a salesman, & the chapter for agnostics is basically a snow job. There are other indications from his life he was basically an agnostic, although he could spout religious rhetoric when it suited his purpose. The agnostic connection seems especially clear in his experiments with LSD.

On the other hand, he was heavily influenced by the Oxford Group, an evangelical type religious group that had 6 steps. Bill W. expanded them to 12 steps.

Many people attracted to A.A were agnostics & atheists who were heavily offended by the religiosity. Bill W. and the origional founders attempted to soften the religiosity by changing god to "higher power", which you could interpret any way you wished. Higher power could be the collective consciousness of the group or whatever

But god is prominently mentioned in the 12 steps. Often at meetings they recite the lord's prayer, although some groups are more secular in their orientation. In certain metropolitan areas, they have agnostic groups that leave the god stuff out.

At many meetings, they recite the serenity prayer, "god, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change those I can, & the wisdom toknow the difference"--How'd god get into it. Actually that prayer was written by Reinhold Niebuhr

Delusional thinking

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 21, 2019

IMO, an alcoholic already suffers from “stinking thinking” without adding religion to the mix. Alcoholism often is caused by an untreated genetic issue or hormonal imbalances. People who have the MTHFR gene can’t process B vitamins correctly which causes toxin buildup in their bodies leading to depression and addictions, especially alcoholism. Jesus ain’t going to fix that.

Alcoholics & drug addicts & people who have other addictions have plenty of "stinking thinking"..People who study addiction say this distorted functioning is based on genetic & hormonal imbalances, as well as environmental & learning issues such as family background. These issues lead to untreated mental illness, such as depression, which the addict tries to self medicate with their favorite drug.

Religion is a personal choice, but to my mind, pouring religiosity on this combustable mix is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

The 12 step programs are credited with saving millions of people from death & insanity, but I think they could do it more effectively by emphasizing "identification at depth" & open honest communication & sidelining the god stuff. Often the god stuff is a barrier to real communication.

Not killing people but definitely shouldn't be the main programs available. Not based on science. Not considered good practice by people who study them and sometimes detrimental.

MsAl Level 8 Sep 21, 2019

Judges have ordered people to attend 12 step programs, & legal issues have arisen regarding the separation of church & state. People who study addiction say 12 step programs may work for some people. They are usually readily available & cheap (they pass the basket), but they are not always the best main treatment option, although they may be ancillary.

As for being detrimental, there is often a good deal of "stinking thinking" in the programs which sometimes goes viral. The 12 step programs are not bastions of mental health. People sometimes go on power trips with sponsorship, "pigeon hunting" & such

No. they do have some use

Disbelieving, I still got sober through AA. The religiosity was a turn off, but wanting the sobriety I saw in others attending was not. For me, the program works by getting drunks to share their experience and to support the newcomer.

@Zster People like you shouldn't have to stifle your disgust with the religiosity of the program to get sober. As you know, there are many others like you in the program. Many get so disgusted with the hypocricy, because as you know recovering addicts are hypersensitive, they go out & drink and/or drug & die

It is funny an agnostic is running a religious program. It could be that Religion is the deepest addiction to start with. People get so hard rock bottom it takes a delusional of a false sense of security for their first baby steps. I went to AA meeting with my father as he was an alcoholic. Problem there was he ended going out with new drinking buddies and went right back on it again. I find Religious people have more personal addiction than any group I know. I am agnostic and have no addictions accept addictive to love and my art work.

I think Bill W. was a master salesman & a bit of a con artist. I believe he was basically agnostic, but could pretend to be religious when it suited him. He was a bit of an Elmer Gantry

Many people sober up in the program but then become severely addicted to religiosity. Many of the "born again christian" types have horrendous pasts. You would cringe to hear what they've done, but then they become "holier than thou". This seems especially true of drug addicts.

I'm glad for you that you're addicted to love & your art work, but in case you need it, there are Workaholic Anonymous groups

Yes high on drugs, now high on Jesus

Lol. I hope workaholic is not another agnostic scam.

You can't master life if you don't love your work. More of my problem was I got rich and famous and realized I was working for the stuff and too many commercial jobs. Rather not enough than the love and beauty of my artworks. I changed from Luke Skywalker to Dark Vader. For love, we never can get enough.
Now back to Luke and balanced better than ever.

@Castlepaloma I'm glad you're back to Luke, but remember Darth is your father

Have you got some evidence about people being turned off the project by the ‘religiosity of the program’. There are many reasons that people decide not to continue.

I can speak for myself. Was told not to come if my higher power wasn’t JC. Also, google toronto atheist aa. Nonbelievers were pushed out, not merely turned off. There is a ton written about aa and nonbelievers.

@Zster that’s not good. Hope you found an alternative support.

@Zster I have heard of groups where those who didn't accept the religiosity party line were shunned or even pushed out. It's good to see so many agnostic & atheist groups forming

True, people leave 12 step groups for various reasons, but one frequently cited is disgust with the religiosity of their group

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:404859
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.