Agnostic.com

4 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If she were white she could write a book and retire on the proceeds.

The school might as well have issued a press release stating "we regret having to dismiss this beloved teacher who has stomped on taught many generations of students."

Thanks goodness there was video.

I actually had an areligious version of this happen to me in 3rd grade. The old bat who was our teacher at the start of that year was a real child-hater. One day we were taking a test and I dropped my pencil and bent over to pick it up. Next thing I knew I was clobbered over the head with a stack of hardcover books and told to sit up straight.

Now at this stage of my life I was nothing if not the most compliant possible child. There were no extenuating circumstances, I was not acting up or something. I literally had just dropped my pencil. This so upset me that I went home and declared I was never returning to school again. My mother marched down to the principal's office only to find she was like the fourth parent with a simlar complaint. The teacher was dismissed forthwith.

That teacher was part of a series of unfortunate events for me that really messed with my head. She was replaced by her diametrically opposed opposite, a freshly minted young teacher who I'm fairly sure didn't teach us much of anything the rest of the year, I remember it as a year of making paier-mache volcanoes and dinosaurs and precious little else. At the same time I had just been skipped over the second grade and was suddenly struggling academically and socially where before I'd been a bit of a super-star.

It all was made up for my 4th grade teacher, who took me under wing and gave me a bit of remedial help and got me back on track; I eventually learned there are good as well as bad people in the mix. But aside from the multi-level wrongness of what this teacher did in the cited article, you never know what long-lasting effects you might have on a child when you mistreat them like this. It isn't just physical abuse, but the impact it has on vulnerable minds and hearts.

Must be an evangelical

show him the love of god by god

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40745
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.