Agnostic.com

10 20

Six years ago today. Nada Lake with a huge winter storm approaching.

Six years ago, I backpacked to Nada Lake, 5,000', a deceptively grueling hike gaining 3,600' elevation in 4.8 miles. The trail is chock-full of rocks and roots the whole way. We were attempting to reach the spectacular Enchantments at 8,000' to 10,000'.

It was raining as Michael and I ascended to Nada Lake. In the tent, I woke at 2:00 a.m. to silence. The rain had stopped. "Tomorrow will be sunny," I smiled and fell asleep.

We awoke to 3 feet of snow. It was snowing hard. Higher up, Snow Lakes had 6 feet of snow.

"The snow was up to our chests!" two trail runners gasped, descending from the Enchantments. "We could barely find our way out. Glad we knew the way."

Six hikers were airlifted from the Cascade Mountains in Washington State that weekend.

Michael and I turned around. Glad I insisted we both bring Micro-spikes and hiking poles. I led him steeply downhill, following the slight indention of snow in the trail.

Step...test underfoot...step... test. We could have broken a leg on a buried log.

The snow turned to rain when we descended to 2,000' elevation. What a relief.

Photos:

Nada Lake, 5000'.

Cooking breakfast under trees in the driest place I could find.

McClellan Ridge and lake in the Enchantments. Photo by Terry Valdez, my ex-husband.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Brrr. But beautiful.

Beautiful shots. I assume you made it to the enchantments on another occasion.

Anything to make winter weather more tolerable.

Wow. What happened to Michael, did you kill him on one of your hikes?

@Jolanta

I dumped Michael. He was the worst lover I ever had.

He always made us late. Drove me nuts. I'm always early.

@LiterateHiker Oh, you are a tough woman.

Still some pretty spectacular scenery, even if you didn't make it to the Enchantments.

dkp93 Level 8 Sep 30, 2019

Thank you! I miss all of that. The surprise snow, the mountains, the quiet.

Another reason why I don't like the outside.
LOL

Nice pics though!

Unforgettable day!

twill Level 7 Sep 30, 2019

That was quite the unexpected adventure for you,,Happy you safely returned ,love your pics

Pretty pics

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 30, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:408731
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.