Agnostic.com

6 17

Soft rattling of millions of Aspen leaves filled my heart.

Golden grasses waved in the wind. Vivid blue sky. Mountains shining with new snow. The soft rattling of millions of Aspen leaves filled my heart. Air so cool and clear it seemed I could reach out and ping it.

I flushed out coveys of Chukar partridges that soared aloft, landing nearby. A lone Western Meadowlark sang beautifully, usually a sign of Spring.

Today with three women, I hiked 5.5 miles gaining 2,000 feet in elevation. Sage Hill Trails of Wenatchee are Cascade Mountain foothills, embracing the town on the west.

At noon, I cut out because I need to be at the high school before 3 p.m. Will help the girl I'm mentoring with the FAFSA application that opened today.

The other three women headed up to high ridges. They plan to do a high, curving 12-mile loop, then down to the cars. Instead I walked an hour down a steep, gravel service road to my car.

After being on a trail, a road is hard underfoot. Trucks and bicycles ram down dirt. Mountain bikes carve a deep groove, making it hard to walk. Instead I walked on soft grass in the middle of the road. The steep road was slanted, crushing one knee.

It was exquisitely beautiful, nevertheless.

Western Meadowlark singing:

[video.search.yahoo.com]

Photos:

The Enchantments, 8,000' to 10,000'. See how mountains create weather?

Yellow Rabbitbrush flowers.

Wenatchee Mountains with new snow.

We never saw pink Buckwheat flowers before!

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are One with Nature... You are Special!!!

Reminds me of Annies song by John Denver, he wrote the song when he was in the mountains,it's a pretty song.

Thank you for the description

Aspen trees retain bark scars for a long time.
Years ago (I haven't been able to look in a while) a lot of the Quaking Aspens north of the park near the Grand Canyon North Rim were unofficially serialized. A shepherd amused themself by carving numbers into the Quakers. Lol.😎

I always especially liked the Aspens because they grow faster than a lot of other trees and they can 'repair' forests after trees are lost to a fire or windstorm or such. Aspens always strike me as peaceful and positive. 😊

Sounds like fun

CS60 Level 7 Oct 1, 2019

Beautiul descriptions and pics ,sounds like a lovely rugged hike

@RoyMillar

Thank you so much!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:409174
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.