Agnostic.com

9 3

I come from a very religious family from a denomination probably few if any have heard of. Mennonite. I grew up in a very evangelical setting. Where one had to ask God for everything. Just that I didn't know who God was except for mythical descriptions in a book called the Bible. I developed a scientific mind and if there was no scientific evidence about something, I was quite skeptical of it. Some members of my family who have passed away were joyful before the passing because they knew they were going to be in heaven and meeting God. I read everything I could about near death experiences and I really did not see any good evidence of a god. I do believe in an afterlife and a spiritual world because we do have scientific proof of that world. A fairly good body of evidence. I believe everyone has a soul and that soul departs the physical body and transitions to some other form. Lots and lots of questions to be answered. I do believe that we should have love and kindness in our hearts but that has nothing to do with religion.

lbusche 7 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in a rural area about 15 minutes from both Amish and Mennonite communities. While they are not outgoing to us that consider "the English," they are also not unfriendly. If you meet a buggy on the road, the driver always gives you a wave of greeting. The cultures are fascinating on multiple levels.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 22, 2018

Didnt Hitchens quip a bout the Amish girl shunned from her community ???
Too ( Two ) mennonite .

I remember that as a young child my family took a Greyhound Bus to Niagara Falls. It was packed, so I had to sit next to a Mennonite gentleman. I was mortified! He looked so serious, had on a black suit, and that beard! He turned out to be a really nice guy. He talked to me the whole way and was very friendly.

Iwasn't a black bumper, old order mennonite or amish. I will find some kind of verifiable evidence of the spirit world. Not necessarily the same as afterlife. But you can draw your own conclusions

My daughter in law is from a Mennonite family. Her parents left the church but the rest of her entire family is still Mennonite.

In Mexico, we bought most of our cheeses from the Mennonites in our region. There is a large and well established Mennonite community where I live and in surrounding cities.

As for "...we do have scientific proof of that world. A fairly good body of evidence. I believe everyone has a soul and that soul departs the physical body and transitions...", this is neither true nor supportable. There is no evidence and there sure as hell is no scientific proof. Science does not deal in proofs. The following is an excerpt from an article in Psychology Today:

"The idea of the soul is bound up with the idea of a future life and our belief in a continued existence after death. It's said to be the ultimate animating principle by which we think and feel, but isn't dependent on the body. Many infer its existence without scientific analysis or reflection. Indeed, the mysteries of birth and death, the play of consciousness during dreams (or after a few martinis), and even the commonest mental operations – such as imagination and memory – suggest the existence of a vital life force – an élan vital – that exists independent of the body.

Yet, the current scientific paradigm doesn't recognize this spiritual dimension of life. We're told we're just the activity of carbon and some proteins; we live awhile and die. And the universe? It too has no meaning. It has all been worked out in the equations – no need for a soul."

Beyond this point the author of the article launches into the "new theory" of Biocentrism, which is a "New Age" style approach to the idea of independent consciousness and the wording is directed toward support what is obviously the writer's agenda. I have read the theory and several papers on the subject and remain incredulous and at a loss to find anything that smacks of objective evidence or hints at scientific method being applied.

I also noticed you use one of those convenient euphemisms in place of die/died/dead so much of your acculturation is still riding with you. When people die, they can't pass anything. They've stopped in the ultimate sense. No more movement. No passing.

Grew up near a Mennonite community - can't handle their religion - but were good people - another old homily -- the salt of the earth -- would like to have 'em as neighbors - even would promise not to fire up my mufflerless cars during their services.

Lots of Mennonite and Amish where I live. I don't find them nearly as annoying as the other religious people around here.

I'm familiar with Mennonites. Similar to Amish..or perhaps one and the same? They still live within the society like have cars and eat @ McD's but where old timey clothes... At least here in Iowa.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40956
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.